Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

zone valves or heat timer

what route you go depends on how the space is being used, and will be used.
you have options.
for example: if you plan on having all the spaces heating at the same time, then the steam zone valves are not necessary and can be eliminated completely. with out the steam zone valves you will heat all the radiation in the building at the same time, as long as the steam boiler is sized sufficiently enough to do so and the mains are vented well and properly.
if you want to have the ability to have some areas off while others are on, then you will need those steam zone valves.
a heat timer is an expensive product, usually priced in the thousands of dollars. about 4500 dollars for the digital platinum series. there is a more cost effective way to control the system. a basic thermostat with an outdoor sensor will do the same job at a much cheaper pricetag. or you could use tekmar products, they have very similar functions as the heat timer line at a much lower cost.
if there aren't too many radiators, you could also use thermostatic radiator valves to control the venting of air on one pipe radiators or use thermostatic radiator valves to control the flow of steam on two pipe radiator systems. again venting of the mains is a huge priority with this set up, as well as maintaining a long enough off cycle, because the system needs to be able to draw in air after the steam heating cycle to properly return the condensate back to the boiler. what area are you in ? if you have any more questions message me here and if i can help out i will. make sure you let me know what area you are in, if you are local to me, someone from my company can come out to give you an appraisal and options. i hope this helped some. allenleo.

Comments

• ERIC_34
    ERIC_34 Member Posts: 2
    ZONE VALVES OR HEAT TIMER

MY CHURCH HAS A STEAM BOILER WITH 3 ZONE VALVES. THE VALVES NEED TO BE REPLACED BECAUSE THEY HAVE BEEN LEAKING FOR A LONG TIME AND CAN NO LONGER BE PACKED. SOMEONE HAS SUGGESTED WE REMOVE THE VALVES COMPLETELY AND USE A HEAT TIMER CONTROL SYSTEM. I AM CONCERNED THAT THIS WILL CAUSE PROBLEMS KEEPING THE TEMPERATURE UNIFORM IN THE BUILDING.
    WE HAVE A LARGE WORSHIP SPACE AND SOME LARGE MEETING ROOMS, AS WELL AS SMALL OFFICES.
  • carol_3
    carol_3 Member Posts: 397

What's the reason for replacing valves with a control system?
  • ERIC_34
    ERIC_34 Member Posts: 2

The valves are from 1950 they are leaking and sometimes do not open all the way. when this happens the boiler does not come on. no heat!
    It was suggested that it would be cheaper to take out the valves and heat the hole building all the time using a heat timer.

• carol_3
    carol_3 Member Posts: 397

Are you talking about the Heat Timer brand of control products? I don't think it's an either/or. You'd need new valves even if you go with the fairly sophisticated-looking Heat Timer controls. I went to their website www.heat-timer.com, looked under steam heat, and found a lot of stuff. They have a lot of valves! The thing would be to select what you need and get prices. Then you can add things like sequencing or outdoor reset in addition to valves.

When you consider labor, lots of time the cheapest replacement is what you already have because you don't have to figure out the new gizmo and how to get it installed.
This discussion has been closed.