Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

460-3 suitcase heat pump

Options
does anyone know who might make a 460 volt 3phase suitcase style.i.e. side discharge, heat pump? thanks!

Comments

• Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    Marty:

I have seen 1 in the past, but we're talking about 20 years or so ago. Contact Mitsubishi, Sanyo, goodman, EMI etc... If their hearts are set on this voltage, an electrician can easily supply a step down T former to accomplish this task.

Mike T.

PS, your 460 VAC would be 3 phase if they make them, and even then it would be special order and VERY EXPENSIVE!!!:-)
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    Options
    You might also see

if you can find one that operates on 277/1 phase. That is a direct derivative of 460/3 phase by dropping one of the conductors. Most I find are 208-230 or 240 single-phase however.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • mtfallsmikey
    mtfallsmikey Member Posts: 765
    Options
    While there's 3-phase on my mind, Brad

A question for you...we lost the "B" phase last week for the 3rd time in a year, 100 amp fuse blown at the pole, utility has no answers, no problems with our transformers, switchgear, feeders on our side.. Lots of damage this time: lost VFD's to one elevator motor and cooling tower motor, lighting contactors, etc. Any theory as to why this would happen?
  • Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    Options
    While I am not an electrical engineer

(and why would anyone want to play one on TV?), all I can think of is that there is a problem on the neutral side (3-phase four-wire) causing phase imbalance. Now, if this occurs on the utility side of the meter (as it seems), they may be liable for your losses. They were at my house when I had a floating neutral which knocked out a few electronic devices. Granted that was single-phase but my experience nevertheless.

Some have told me that 3-phase power does not have a neutral but I have to figure that fourth wire is more than just a ground; one needs reference for voltage potential. (Gap in my knowledge for sure but I am open about it!)

Edit: I spoke to my electrical engineer- there is a neutral inside the building (Wye) but not outside (Delta). He said any number of things could have caused the external fault but wondered how if so, the surge or fluctuation made it's way past the transformer if any, switchgear and local overcurrent protection.

That said, we specify chillers, VFD's and similar devices with phase loss protection, internally. Small consolation at this point.
This discussion has been closed.