Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Difficult Pressuretrol Adjustment

Soon after my steam system was capped removing 3 of 10 radiators I noticed increased noise, in addition to short cycling (satisfying the pressuretrol well before the thermostat). The pressuretrol is a very simple Honeywell unit showing only the cut-in value, but not accurately. It is set by a screw-head on top. Inside there is a differential setting. I replaced the gauge with a 0-5 reading and saw that it was cutting out at 4 psi and cutting in at 2 psi. All radiators get warm, and after a while the thermostat is satisfied.

I adjusted it so that it now cuts out at 3 and cuts in at 1 psi. The noise level is way down-about how it was before. The short cycling may be improved a bit.

Here's the pressuretrol problem. If I try to lower the cut in any further, the adjustment screw (which is being turned counter-clockwise) comes off the part of the unit into which it screws and, of course, the pressuretrol ceases to function. Do I need a new pressuretrol? Does it make any sense to obtain a longer screw?

Thanks for your help.

Mel

Comments

• oil-2-4-6-gas_3
    oil-2-4-6-gas_3 Member Posts: 4

that pressuretrol is not suited to residential heating -nor commercial heating -in fact the pa-series -pressuretrol that comes with every new steam boiler shoild be tossed --they are not sensitive enough and the range is too high ------you will have issues since you reduced your load --get a pro in there to see what can be done to make the "system" work as good as it was meant to---------oh yeah a longer screw will not work --( i have tried)
This discussion has been closed.