Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Windows Vista

until at least the second service pack. That seems to be when Microsoft finally starts getting it right, but with the current generation of hackers it might take longer than that. Even then, we might hold off unless and until we need to run Vista-only software.

One of our local computer shops has had Vista running on a machine in their showroom that customers can play with. I forget the specs on that machine, but Vista was rather slow compared with XP on a similar machine. I was underwhelmed.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=367&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928

Am getting ready to upgrade from Windows XP Pro to Windows Vista Business.

3-month old Dell computer with Core 2 Duo processor, 2 gig of RAM, 512 meg of video memory, huge main 10,000 rpm hard drive, even larger 2nd hard drive, DVD R+W, that was "certified" to be "Vista Compatible".

Added hardware includes two additional parallel ports (both used) and a 2nd optical drive.

Five printers, a scanner, my datalogging system, "smart" uninterruptable power supply for further peripherals.

Lots of high-powered software--some Microsoft, some not. Some the most recent version, some not or software no longer available.

Will let you know if it goes smoothly...

--------------------------------

Note that when upgrading to Vista it must be a "clean" install with most operating systems. This means backing up all data, then re-loading both your programs and data. Windows Vista Business version box says it must be a "clean install" except from "Windows XP SP2 Home or Tablet edition, Professional (32-bit), or windows Vista Home Basic." Even the "geek squad" at Best Buy didn't know if "Professional (32-bit)" meant Windows XP Professional...
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Darn

I'm not even comfortable with my windows XP Pro.Good Luck
  • ALH_4
    ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
    Vista

I havent followed Vista much. What features make it worth the upgrade?

Somehow requiring a minimum of 1GB RAM just for the operating system seems insane to me. Does that mean that memory intensive programs will want me to have at least 2 GB total? That in addition to all the other hardware requirements makes it sound like they made a deal with Dell to sell more hardware.

But maybe it's worth it?
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    advice

my friends at Microsoft recommend the full program be installed, not the upgrade. Save your existing data, wipe the hard drive, and install Vista for minimal problems on a clean drive.

I'll wait 6-12 months before trying it. It just takes too much time to debug any MS upgrade.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Maine Doug_52
    Maine Doug_52 Member Posts: 71
    that is

always the preferred procedure. typically, by the time one gets to the point for an "upgrade", the pc has a lot of trash from software installs / uninstalls, security upgrades, various poopies from anti-virus softwares etc.

wipe it clean = mean machine.

i have four pc's on win2kpro-sp4 and one laptop on winxp-sp2. not sure what vista will improve just yet for the effort and cost to upgrade. of course i am not using the latest graphic software or other fancy dancy miracleware either.
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557

I have always waited as long as possible to change operating systems. I used 95 for the longest time, till I could only get 98 in a new PC. I'll wait a very long time to switch to Vista. Horror stories of the past about glitches and patches just make me nervous. Yeah, I like to have the latest and greatest, but with what I run, it's not worth the trouble.

And I've always been told to go with a full install, not an upgrade.
  • The Boiler Dr.
    The Boiler Dr. Member Posts: 163
    Vista vulnerable

My compu-geek who is very tight with local MS geeks tells me his local buddies won't touch Vista. From the information they are privy to Vista is not a complete system as yet. They say another year at least before it should be released to minimize trouble. I too only recently moved to XP and am still learning. Just the buzz from this end

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Shane_2
    Shane_2 Member Posts: 191
    Vista

Just one thing to add. I use QuickBooks Pro for my small business(06) . If you want to use quick books with Vista you must purchase quickbooks 07.
  • Bernie Riddle_2
    Bernie Riddle_2 Member Posts: 178

> Just one thing to add. I use QuickBooks Pro for

> my small business(06) . If you want to use quick

> books with Vista you must purchase quickbooks 07.

• Bernie Riddle_2
    Bernie Riddle_2 Member Posts: 178

> My compu-geek who is very tight with local MS

> geeks tells me his local buddies won't touch

> Vista. From the information they are privy to

> Vista is not a complete system as yet. They say

> another year at least before it should be

> released to minimize trouble. I too only recently

> moved to XP and am still learning. Just the buzz

> from this end

>

> _A

> HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=

> 439&Step=30"_To Learn More About This

> Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in

> "Find A Professional"_/A_

After the 200MB or so of "security patches" and upgrades for XP the last 4 or 5 years I know I wont be switching to Vista for a LONG time...........

I remember when I first bought XP I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread....Little did I know it was like begging for a hacker to have a feild day with your computer LOL.
  • realolman
    realolman Member Posts: 513
    why am I not surprised?

I'm gonna have a cardiac from not surprise.

It seems to me Microsoft goes out of their way to change stuff just so you can't use what you have.
  • Ruthe Jubinville_2
    Ruthe Jubinville_2 Member Posts: 674
    quickbooks

each version will only work for 2 years. My 2004 will be obsolete this year after I do my taxes. Hate built in obsolescence. Has nothing to do with microsoft for this. built in by Intuit. Bah Humbug. .. Ruthe
  • Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405

BE VERY, VERY, WARY!

First: Why did I try the upgrade? Because I work with data, files, pictures, etc. constantly sent to me from many source. Experience has shown me that after a few months when people start sending such from computers using a new Windows that there will be incompatibility problems.

Result of Upgrade: DISASTER!!!!!! (It does though LOOK very nice...)

Would not even properly control a MICROSOFT trackball!!!! No driver available. Scanner and one printer unusable. No updated driver available for the printer--did not have time to check for an updated driver for the scanner.

Utterly incompatible with ANYTHING Norton--or even Symantec Corp. it seems as WinFax Professional would not work. Reports "known" incompatibilities with Adobe Acrobat but online search found no available fixes.

DOES NOT SUPPORT OR FUNCTION WITH OUTLOOK EXPRESS. ONLY WORKS WITH OUTLOOK FOR EMAIL. I have my own custom programs (Visual Basic 6) written to interface with Outlook Express and my "way in" does not work with Outlook. I might be able to interface with Outlook similarly if I change to VB.NET programming language, but there are some SERIOUS incompatibilities with that language and VB 6.

Even the "Geek Squad" at Best Buy is HIGHLY confused regarding updates and "clean installs". A true "clean install" means that an upgrade will not work requiring stand-alone versions that cost significantly more.

Spent over an hour on the phone with Microsoft after finding the problems. My main question was, "How do I remove Vista?" Guess what? You CAN'T REMOVE VISTA. You must wipe the drive and re-install from scratch. This is unlike any other Windows upgrade I've ever used...

Tech at Microsoft was flabbergasted when I read him the text on the Vista box talking about the REQUIREMENT for a "clean install." He said something like, "That means that upgrades don't work..."
  • Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405

Did I mention?

Vista does not even come with Outlook! You have to have such from some other Microsoft program! (Of course I do--in numerous versions--but I presently have none installed...)
  • Larry (from OSHA)
    Larry (from OSHA) Member Posts: 717
    best of both worlds

If you are determined to be an early adopter I'd suggest using partition magic and keep your current xp on one partition, put your data and programs on one or two other partitions, and make a new c drive for vista. Then, if you have problems, you can boot to the xp partition and not skip a beat.

Ask me how I know about this........

You did say you have a big new hard drive, right?

Larry
This discussion has been closed.