Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replacing radiators with baseboard

Options
is find another engineer- one who knows what he's talking about. Why does he want to do this? Does he know you can't use just any baseboard on steam?

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=367&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Tom_60
    Tom_60 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    replacing radiators with baseboard

I am replacing existing radiators with fin tube baseboard in my 1950's cape. The existing system is a one-pipe system with the diverter tees on the return side. Can I keep the existing diverter tees and standard tees in their present location and install baseboards onto this one-pipe system. I have gotten two opions so far, one for and one against. Or do I need to install the baseboard on a loop system? Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • joel_19
    joel_19 Member Posts: 931
    Options
    Why??

i've gotta ask why take out high quality high mass radiators for baseboard ? you do realize everything else being equal your comfort will go down right ?
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    Tom,

How big is this place? If you've got small rooms, removing the radiators might be a BIG mistake!!!!

Please remember that for baseboard to work, you've got to keep the air flowing, and placing furniture in front of it won't let that happen. You will, in effect, be making a small room smaller.

If the radiators heat the place now, just consider leaving them and knowing where "not to place furniture" and continue to enjoy the feeling of heating both air and objects.

Having cut my teeth on the North shore of Ma., and seeing the space lost to doing just what you aspire to, has given me a feeling that you might be a loser in doing it.

First of all, those radiators MAY be able to heat the space at a far lower temp. than they were designed for originally, especially if the envelope has been improved.

Secondly, If you install baseboards they will NEVER hold the heat that a giant piece of cast iron would over time, thus would make the boiler cycle more often than it has to.

Esteticts aside, why are you wanting to ruin a perfectly good source of heat for something so marginal?

I wish I had a dollar for every radiator a customer tossed and wanted them back.....even after all the warnings. Think about this before doing it.

Radiators have charm, baseboards are completely "blase'". Baseboards need WAY more room to make heat happen than radiators, with all their charm and history. JMHO....Chris
  • Leo
    Leo Member Posts: 770
    Options

If you live in Mass I'll come get them for my house and yes I'm in the business.

Leo
  • Jeffrey A. Knichel
    Options

I agree with JCA. However if you do proceed, you should not hook up baseboard to the diverter tees. You are just asking for trouble. The diverter tees were designed for the low flow restriction of the radiators. The system is also designed to divert all the air circulating around up to the radiation. The diverter tee system doesn't force the water through any one section. Inherent in its design, the water can pass by any individual section of radiation. One little air bubble coupled with more flow resistance of the baseboard system will stop the heat. Baseboard was designed for a loop system and you should definitely install it that way. With baseboard heat all air elimination is done at the boiler.
  • Joe Brix
    Joe Brix Member Posts: 626
    Options
    If your looking

for a more modern look, maybe Euro sytle panel rads would be a better solution. Still need a loop to run them.
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Be carfull Joe

To many Panels on a loop and you could run into cold panles at the end of the loop. I like a mopnoflow design for panels. Equal flow and temp.

Scott

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Uni R
    Uni R Member Posts: 663
    Options
    Don't do it!

The spacings on the diverter tees were engineered for the width of the radiators which give off far more heat per foot than the fin tubes will. If you increase the width of the baseboard the water isn't going to want to divert into the baseboards. What's wrong with the radiators?

You are messing with a holy grail for this site Tom. :-)
  • scott28
    scott28 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    replacing radiators with baseboard

I too have to replace a steam radiator with a baseboard style. This is on a 2-pipe system with thermostatic traps. (the traps are being replaced with new thermostatic traps) Neither of these decisions are my call, engineer's specs. I'd like to know if anyone can tell me what to watch out for. I'm concerned about the trap responding too slow and backing up water in a MUCH SMALLER piece of baseboard. Any other suggestions?
  • D107
    D107 Member Posts: 1,852
    Options
    I have been told

by a knowledgeable contractor that in come cases baseboard can heat more evenly than rads. (Maybe a large basement room?) I had never heard this, though I can understand that on a long wall there might be some slight dead spots between two rads.
    True?

Thanks,

David
This discussion has been closed.