Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

sweating liquid line

I was looking at one of these new jujitsu mini splits with inverter technology. Impressive stuff. I noticed that the liquid line at the condensing unit was sweating. This was in Colo. where the dew point is usually quite low so it must be pretty cold. I could see if they had suction liquid heat exchange, the liquid line might sweat at the evap but they don't. The liquid and suction lines are seperate and each insulated. Do you think maybe they have a heat exchanger in the condensing unit? bob

Comments

• jim lockard
    jim lockard Member Posts: 1,059
    Sweat

Bob -Not familar with the Jujitsu Brand however alot of mini splits have the metering device at the condensing unit. Hope that helps J.Lockard
  • Darin(in Michigan)
    Darin(in Michigan) Member Posts: 90
    Sweating Liquid Line

Every mini split I've worked on had the metering device in the condensor. In the installation manual, the manufacturer may be specific enough to reference the liquid line has to be insulated. That would leave me to believe they anticipated sweat forming because of the metering devices location. Also, if there is a service valve at leaving line and it is equal to the return line(slightly different due to pressure drop in the evap coil) I would suspect thats the cause. My 2c.
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    Sweating \"Liquid Line\"

The liquid line you are referring to is not a liquid line at all. Both lines that connect the indoor and outdoor units are low pressure (suction) lines.

The metering device is located outdoors.

Both of the interconnecting lines should be insulated.

Thanks for posting.
  • bob_50
    bob_50 Member Posts: 306
    Thanks All

Thanks for the replies. I am surprised that the mfg. of these mini splits put the x-device in the condensing unit. Refrigerant evaporated outside of the evaporator is a waste of refrigerating effect as I see it. Considering the apparent quest for quality and efficiency exhibited by these mfg I find this interesting. bob
  • heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    Considering.............

there is no room in the air handler as it is, and the fact that it would be a huge pain in the **** to change if it was, I'm glad it the metering device is outside in the condensing unit.

Efficiency be damned.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    heatboy

The Radiant Whisperer

"The laws of physics will outweigh the laws of ecomomics every time."
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    Good Point

Very good point Heatboy
This discussion has been closed.