Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Crud on boiler section?

David_52
David_52 Member Posts: 30
John, Thanks for the input. Same question as to the above post- how does corrosion like this usually progress? How long might I expect to have with this boiler- if any?

Thanks again for your input.

Comments

• David_52

Hey everyone,

Took the cover off and looked at the outside of the boiler sections the other day. There was some "crud" (technical term) on the outside of the sections in some places. See attached picture, in the upper central and right sections and lower right section. What am I looking at there? Note: There are no leaks.

Thanks!
    David
  • JackR
    JackR Member Posts: 125
    Steam?

Is this a steam boiler?
  • David_52

Yes, sorry- forgot to include that in the original post. Gas fired steam boiler- Utica model J-400.

Thanks!
  • Jeff Elston_2
    Jeff Elston_2 Member Posts: 20
    Leaks

They look like leaks to me.

• JackR
    Corrosion

Looks like a case of internal corrosion, in other words, it is rotting from the inside out above the water line. This is generally caused by either to much make-up water or high chloride's in your ground water. Looks like you are looking at a new boiler.
  • David_52

Thanks- I was afraid of that; I filled the boiler up earlier in the summer, in part to check for leaks, and haven't noticed any water coming out of the sections- though it does look and feel slightly damp where that corrosion exists. Just as a ballpark, and I'll definitely have someone come and look at it later in the summer, if there is only a small amount of water seeping through those areas... do I have any time at all with the boiler still functional? In other words, how do leaks like that usually progress?

Thanks again.
  • JackR
    as usual- it depends

From what I have seen once you see corrosion in the flue ways it's all over but the crying!! It will get progressively worse over the winter and it usually doesn't show in the boiler room, you will notice excessive " Smoke " coming out of your chimney once it gets cold, this is actually steam escaping up the chimney since the failure is in the steam chest. I would suggest making sure your system is real tight, meaning air vent, main vents and all the piping. Then I would check the water if you are on a well for chlorides. A new boiler is definitely in your near future. If it is oil go with the Burnham Megasteam as it is designed to prevent this from happening even under poor water conditions, all the gas steam boilers are pretty much the same creature. I would get a pro in there to check out your system.
This discussion has been closed.