Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Stewart Warner Winkler Oil Boiler Burner Replacement

Big Ed_4
Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,761
Depends on the era of the original install. They made a low and high pressure burner.. Back then they where compeating wilth die hard coal users. Coal was quiet burning so oil burners were designed to quiet. Very low static air pressure . I think I remember the high pressure burners had this cone shape nozzle adapter that acted like a stop. They were not a bad burner for it's day. I only remember seeing a low pressure sitting in the supply shed at the shop , just incase for parts I assume. I have a old instruction tin somewhere for the low pressure burner and a old leather box of spray nozzles for Them ..
The only old boiler I am still impressed with is a Fitzsgibbons.
I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all

Comments

• Steve_166
    Steve_166 Member Posts: 9
    Old Boiler/New Burner Match

Was wondering if anyone has ever run into a Stewart Warner Corp., Winkler CIC-3 Oil fired forced hot water boiler. Originally bid to replace the beast, but customer wants to do it later. He has multiple problems with old Carlin 99CRD locking out. Told him I could replace the burner to get rid of the 'No Heat' calls for now. I figured i would reuse the burner when I put in the new boiler next year. Would like to stay with Riello, but only due to possibility of putting in a Trio, Biasi, or Buderus next year. Carlin is not approved yet for the Trio(not sure about the Biasi). Can I even think of installing a modern burner in this thing, or am I out in left field?

Will be calling Riello and Beckett in the morning for their input. My local heat guys at the supply houses don't know this old stuff.
  • Leo
    Leo Member Posts: 770
    Why waste your time

Why waste your time putting a new burner in an old beast? Wait till replacement and get a properly matched boiler/burner. In the meantime fix the Carlin. Put your oil burner skills to work.

Leo
  • Alan R. Mercurio_3
    Alan R. Mercurio_3 Member Posts: 1,620

Steve, one of the things that come to my mind is, have you determined what’s causing these lock-outs? If it’s not directly related to the burner you could be selling your customer a new burner and finding you still have troubles.

Also does the old boiler meet the requirements of NFPA-31 for a retrofit burner?

Just a few thoughts here.

Your friend in the industry,
    Alan R. Mercurio

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Your friend in the industry,

Alan R. Mercurio

www.oiltechtalk.com
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    If that's the boiler I think it is

it's a cast-iron wet-base boiler with a very low draft loss, like the American-Standard A-3 and Utica OU series boilers. That Carlin would not have been the original burner but should be a decent match for it. We have one running nicely with a Beckett AF in it. Obviously a new boiler would be more efficient, but that's not the question here.

Something is causing the Carlin to lock out. Check all the usual suspects- fuel, ignition, air etc. Given the low draft loss of that boiler, pay very close attention to the draft. Too much draft could cause the flame to be pulled away from the burner head- we call this "loss of retention"- and that could cause a lockout if the cad cell can no longer "see" the flame. Is there a draft regulator, and is it the right size? If the chimney was built for a coal-fired boiler, you'll want to use a regulator one size larger than your chimney connector. Old coal chimneys develop a LOT of draft!

Try one of the new GeniSys primaries from Beckett. It can store fault codes and tell you what made the burner lock out. A very useful control, indeed.

BTW, I doubt the 99CRD/FRD burner would be a good match for the Trio, Biasi and Buderus, since these units run with positive pressure over the fire. At minimum you'd need a Beckett AFG, and preferably an NX or Riello. I believe the Trio is available with all these burners.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Steve_166
    Steve_166 Member Posts: 9

Thanks for the advice. I did not even see it fire up, and it very well could be due to something minor with the burner (not sure who has been cleaning the thing). As for the draft, the chimney was lined with 6" z-flex before they bought it.

Also downloaded a cool original brochure for a winkler from this site, also some specs. Stewart Warner had their own burner that was OEM for this thing.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    I have

a couple Winkler low-pressure burners too. One of them is in running condition as far as I know, haven't tried it in a while. These were a first-class piece of engineering.

"Steamhead"

• mtfallsmikey
    mtfallsmikey Member Posts: 765
    S/W low pressure burner

I've played with 'em too...Dad had the customers stocked with plenty of spare nozzles...if they got out of whack, they would soot up a boiler in no time. If any of you get really bored, I know where there are a couple if Iron fireman stokers you can play with!
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Winkler

I also have to admit that i have an intact low pressure Winkler burner from a warm air furnace. Those things are heavy to say the least. It's in my collection of yesteryear oil burners. Anyone also have a Mastercraft Harvey Whipple? Even heavier. peace
  • mtfallsmikey
    mtfallsmikey Member Posts: 765
    No burner, but

I have a Harvey Whipple logo plate. It's in my collection, which ranges from A/S to Sinclair To Delco.
  • CapeCodOilGuy
    CapeCodOilGuy Member Posts: 43
    sole proprietor

I've long wished to get my hands on a low-pressure gun, with a view to experimenting with vegetable oils, etc.
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Low Pressure Gun

This old GE boiler had what, by today's standards, would be considered a low pressure burner. Some of these produced steam, others produced hot water. My grandfather had one of these steam boilers to heat his 3-story house (and there was a radiator in his garage, but he had it turned off), and I had a smaller hot water boiler in my house. Both of these had coils for domestic hot water. My grandfather's was hooked up, but I do not recall a circulator pump. (I was about 8 years old at the time.) Mine was not hooked up, but I hooked it up to take the chill off the water to the electric hot water heater input in winter time; I did not operate the boiler in the sumer. I ran the boiler at about 140F so as not to overheat the radiant heating downstairs. Around 1980 I had to take out the GE burner and put in a Beckett because I could not longer get needed replacement parts for the GE unit. The Beckett burner fired into the hole that was formerly an inspection port.

http://www.heatinghelp.com/files/articles/1025/177.pdf
This discussion has been closed.