Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ice machine and customer

I tell the customer that the part is his and if it goes bad, it's his dime for me to find the problem.

I warrant nothing I don't sell. Most everyone is okay with that, even the people with the box store thermostats.

Comments

• Jeff Lawrence_25
    Jeff Lawrence_25 Member Posts: 746
    What's the problem?

About 6 months ago, I received a call from a customer regarding a problem with an ice machine. The machine recently had the compressor replaced but still wasn’t working properly. As I walked in, there were 2 people besides the gent that called me (lets call him Bo since he’s from Alabama). All 3 were either asking me or telling me something, all different. I decided to listen solely to the gent that called me in the first place. He told me that I didn’t need to get the R22 off my truck, as they had plenty. After listening to everyone chatter and ask questions, I relented and put my manifold set on the machine in an attempt to quiet everyone down. After about 15 minutes, figured the person (I will not call him a gent) that replaced the compressor messed around with the control board and screwed it up. I gave Bo the part number of the board and the phone number of the local supplier of the parts.

Fast forward to yesterday. Bo calls again, telling me that they have another ice machine and the fill valve isn’t working. Okay, as I drive there, I mentally go over the fill schematics of the more commonly locally sold ice machines. (Wrong. I didn’t know that particular company was still in business.) This time, Bo isn’t there, but ‘Bob,’ the owner, is (Bob’s not from Alabama). After about 10 minutes, I figure the suction line sensor is bad and the fill valve sticks in whatever position it’s in, open or closed. I tell Bob what‘s wrong and that I’ll find the parts and call him. He repeatedly asks if it’s the control board and I tell him that the problem is not the board. About 2 hours later, I call him and he tells me that he has someone’s picking up the suction line sensor as we speak. I remind him that he also needs a fill valve.

An hour later, Bob calls me and chortles that the machine has already dumped 2 batches of ice and that I was correct about the sensor. Good for him! Thirty minutes later, he calls again. The fill valve is sticking open and melting the ice nearly as fast as it’s made. I remind him that the fill valve needs replacement and that was the reason. He’s having one picked up and I’ll go by and install it this afternoon.

Lessons learned:

1. Just because a person owns a heating and air conditioning company doesn’t mean they have any sense.

2. The company owner doesn’t always trust his service techs.

3. People don’t listen.

Oh, the original ice machine? It’s sitting in the warehouse gathering dust.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Ice Machines

Good Morning Jeff!Another lesson to be learned here ,You are a very nice guy for letting the customer buy his owm parts!!!!!!!!! Enjoy your day!
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    Jeff Lawrence_25 Member Posts: 746
    Not

By choice.
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    How do handle...

How do you handle guarantee on parts that you did not supply?
This discussion has been closed.