Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Blower for A/C

Options
I do not have forced air heat in my house but have a very simple way to duct an air conditioner from the attic into all rooms. What is the set-up I need for the coil and blower since I have no furnace? Any idea where to get it? Thanks

Comments

• Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    Options
    Are you saying...

Are you saying that you have a duct system installed, but no blower/cooling coil?

If this is the case, you will need an air handler (Cooling coil, blower, control components) and a condensing unit (compressor, condenser coil and control components) for outside. In addition, you will need interconnecting control wiring and refrigerant lines.

The best advice I can give you is to go to the "Find a Professional" section on this site and find someone local to look your system over.
  • Brian_48
    Brian_48 Member Posts: 8
    Options

What I have came from a system that ran through a furnace..... I have the condenser and I have the coil. I know I need the lines inbetween. What I am looking for is what I need inside to attach the coil and blower to (and where to get a stand alone blower). Thanks
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    Options

Sounds like what you need is an air handler. The problem will be getting the old coil to fit into it. You'd have to build a plenum onto the end of the air handler to hold the coil, which would be a bit of extra work.

Air handlers are usually purchased with the evaporator coil in them. The problem arises if the condenser SEER doesn't match the new coil. You would have to check with the manufacturer to see if they are compatible.

Of corse, you'd then need all the ductwork to get the air around the house.
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    And another thing

the A coil better be designed to be a horizontal type or you had better take out more money to fix the ceiling..;-)
    This would be a good time to consult your local professional.

In addition,...if the A/C is 5 tons and the house only needs 2 are you still going to install it? Some very important considerations need to be addressed here.

Mike T.
This discussion has been closed.