Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

ARRRGH!!!!!!!!!

Options
You done good Terry!

Perhaps you fixed it too well...
Eugene

Comments

• Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Options
    ARRRRGH!!!!!!

Holy Moly!Just started working for a new customer{the landlord},the tennant said they have not been comfortable for several YEARS,it's feels too warm, it feels a little too muggy and the other guys said this is the way THIS system works.Can you do something? Sure ,says I.Well,after washing a totaly plugged evap coil, cond coil, fan barrel,leveling the furnace/blower assy(condensate was running into the control panel and motor),replace the electronic ignition board,changed out the compressor(95 psi suction,150 head,and very noisy),then started up the system and had 85/200 psig's with the new comp . What now!!!!!!!!!!! Found there was NO orifice metering device in the evap unit! So we then installed a TXV and restarted the system and had to lower the fan by two speeds.Restarted again and the system purred wonderfully!!!!!! Then the next morning we recieved a complaint call,"it's uncomfortable here in the office".So out we go, to find the windows fogged over and the room temp at 65* .I had forgotten to reset the t'stat! ARRRGH!!!!
  • Paul Fredricks_8
    Paul Fredricks_8 Member Posts: 35
    Options

Gotta love those calls "Everything is wrong!"

Now the big trick is getting the check!
  • don_185
    don_185 Member Posts: 312
    Options
    great job

Great job Techman.So was the first compressor bad or was its simply the missing orfice with a overcharge and lots of noise that made it seem like a bad compressor.

I'm also puzzle why you would have 85/200 psi with a unit that had no orfice in it.

Oh well, stanger thing have happen.Like having a liquid line temp lower then ambient temps.

• Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Options
    don

Hi don, the comp was bad because it couldn't pumpdown.The liquid line connection to the evap coil still had the factory installed 1/2" flare nut on it , the liquid line was simply pushed into that inlet stub and brazed. Comming out of the distributor are 6 ,10-12" cap tubes so I'm thinking they acted as a "metering device" in a fashion or so. The evap coil mfrg(Evcon now Johhson Controls)said the coils were mfrg'ed for TXV but could accept an orifice for 2 1/2 or 3 ton depending. BUT , why would anyone ACCEPT working in those conditions.That part is beyond me! It was a dog groomer business at one time.The fur in the ducts was horrendis!!Now it's been a front office for a painting contractor,the landlord is new,as am I.
  • don_185
    don_185 Member Posts: 312
    Options
    Thanks

Thanks techman.To have lost both points of pressure differential aka..weak valves and no metering device on the same project is almost like hitting the lottery.LOL.

At least you found a diamond in the ruff with the new landlord.

Again..great job and hope all is well.Take care!
  • John Starcher_4
    John Starcher_4 Member Posts: 794
    Options
    Don't you just hate that?

Not AC, but I have a customer for whom I test the backflow preventer on his irrigation system each year. Last year he called me a week later and said his grass was getting brown. I stopped back over and discovered I had forgotten to reopen the valve on the discharge side of the bfp. Oops! This year, I test the device, it passes, I write him an invoice, and I leave. Sure enough, about a week later I get the call. Went back and found....guess what!!!! Senility is a pain......
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    Jeff Lawrence_25 Member Posts: 746
    Options
    I was the third one out

First guy 'added Freon,' submitted his bill and left.

Second guy waved his sniffer around and said it was a leaking evap coil.

Me?

I looked the system over and didn't get any tools out. Felt the air flow over the condenser fan and checked to see how dirty the blower wheel was. I told the homeowner (an industrial electrician) that the evap coil was plugged up.

He said one word, the first part of the word was "Bull."

Got my tools out and took the covers off the evap coil. He looked at me and apologized. Just about the nastiest coil I've seen in a long time. Brushed it with a wire brush and a fin comb and sprayed some no-rinse coil cleaner on it. Buttoned it back up and turned it on.

Wife calls down from upstairs. The vents are really blowing now, what did you do?

Couple of points. 18 year old cooling system and I didn't want to pump it down and do the coil the right way, pulling it and cleaning it. I was afraid the compressor wouldn't re-start. I don't care much for the no-rinse aerosol spray cleaners, but they do some good. Finally, the homeowner said he'd pull the blower and clean it Saturday morning.

He told me that he'd be calling me in the fall to replace the entire system.

I love calls like that.

And Starch? Been there, done that. At least we'll be able to hide our own Easter Eggs one day....

This discussion has been closed.