Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

3 for 1 boiler

Weezbo
Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
vs lots of "unit heaters" then either deicate one boiler to its load and or make sure it has variable speed drive...

Comments

• Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    I'm looking at a job today

The customer has a large boiler in a factory. I don't know the size at the moment. The idea we are looking at is replacing the boiler with 3 smaller cast iron oil fired unit. I imagine we'll need to build a header to tie the new unit together and need some sort of control package for boiler cycling and possibly lead-lag.

Is there anything in particular I should be thinking of or aware of when I look at this? Any control suggestions? Though we'd probably use Smith or Crown boilers, I know Hydrotherm makes a decent small multiple boiler control system.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • Try Slant/Fin

their Caravan series of boilers and controls should be a good fit here. And they have Noel Murdough, which for me would be the deciding factor.

"Steamhead"

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Tekmar 264

I checked out Tekmar and see their 264 has 4 stage control, outdoor reset and boiler lead cycling. This sounds like the right control unit. Any thoughts?
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    OK

> The customer has a large boiler in a factory. I

> don't know the size at the moment. The idea we

> are looking at is replacing the boiler with 3

> smaller cast iron oil fired unit. I imagine we'll

> need to build a header to tie the new unit

> together and need some sort of control package

> for boiler cycling and possibly lead-lag.

>

> Is

> there anything in particular I should be thinking

> of or aware of when I look at this? Any control

> suggestions? Though we'd probably use Smith or

> Crown boilers, I know Hydrotherm makes a decent

> small multiple boiler control system.

>

> Any info

> would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Paul Fredricks_3
    OK

Here's what I got. A 20 section Smith Mills 44 fired at 9.50 GPH. It used to be used for processing, but now it's only used for heat. 2 small commercial baseboard zones, a 3rd zone that feeds 5 good sized unit heaters, and a 4th that feeds two air handlers with no ductwork that feed warehouse space.

With energy conservation in mind, does it make more sense to run multiple boilers piped to a common main to serve all zones, or one boiler for each large zone and a 3rd for the two small zones?
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Did you get a heat loss done on the building and its

current usage? manufacturing generally has lots of activity motors lighting which changes certain aspects of heating the building. Ventilation with mixed air chambers might be designed around slightly different parameters for the higher occupancy during the work week ..the entire building and system should be considered. unquestionably caravaned boilers is a smarter approach...still you may only require a fraction of the previous air handling equipment and boiler heat source..the temp levels in a warehouse doesn't have to boil the stickers off the cardboard boxes...do you have a camera? if you sent a few pictures of the current room housing the boiler and some of the unit heaters and the two air handlers it would help as one of the clan here may be in or near your area and be able to make a determination as to when and where to get a round 2 it...
  • terry_5
    terry_5 Member Posts: 92

It makes sense to me to stage multiple boilers!
This discussion has been closed.