Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tight spot Peerless and Alliance indirect ( Ron Jr. )

A package of Freedom Flanges come with each circulator from our supply house . But I really do like that the Webstone flanges come sweat or threaded . Is the price for the Webstone flange around the same for a male adapter and a sweat valve ? Thanks Ted .

Comments

• The boiler room

was 4 1/2 feet wide and we had maybe 7 feet of area between the oil tank to the left and an air handler to the right . There was a New Yorker boiler that started leaking last night . 3 zones of heat with a coil for hot water . For a steel boiler , the NYer has some meat to it .
  • We installed a Peerless WBV4

with a Burnham Alliance G indirect heater . Not fun at all bumping into Ken and Phil all day . Couldn't get a good angle for the pics , but the job came out OK . We threw in a valve and drain for the expansion tank in case the chimney needs full access . There's plenty of room to clean that and the boiler , but that's a just in case sorta thing .
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Captain Shoehorn....

Rides again! How's your spine? (and Ken's **** for that matter?)

You guy's must have been shoulder riding for space in that closet. Beats the gym every night eh Ron ? Oh My !..Chris
  • Brad White_125
    Brad White_125 Member Posts: 28
    The Shoehorn and Vaseline Detail was used.

That is what we put on the drawings, metaphorically speaking, when a tight-fit project is let out the door...
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    EGADS!

I'm claustrophobic just looking at the picture!

Always exceptional work Ron.

Mark H

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • My spine

is intact . Not sure about Ken's pimply glutius though . Thankfully this was a walk-in job . Right through the garage and a finished basement . I still can use a workout . I keep hearing the guys call me an upside-down pear . Thanks alot Chris .
  • Another case of

how much stuff can we cram in the cubby-utility room and make it even smaller so we can pick up another foot of wallspace for our new finished playroom . Wow , what a run-on sentence .
  • It's funny

how the more expensive the home is around here , the smaller the space is to work in . I remember a mansion in Sands Point , the bigget home I've ever been in . You needed to scramble sideways between boilers , furnaces , air handlers , water heaters . The units in front needed to be taken out to change anything in back . That's someone elses account , thankfully .

Thanks Mark .
  • David Sutton_6
    David Sutton_6 Member Posts: 1,079
    One very nice Job !!

Nice job buddy! yea they dont like to give up the space these days !!good thing the boilers are getting smaller huh

Ron remember this one ? now that was working room.
    Goingto do that Crawford steamer tomorrow. will post a pic or 2....David

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    amazing

Ron that's one amazing days work was there enough corrision on the tankless or what ,did you use a taco sr504 relay with priority for the circ and what about that air handler did that have a hot water coil on it or am i seeing things ?I don't know how you guys can work in such a tight place all day do you constantly find your self saying just let me get in there to do this or do you guys a deli nimber thingo number 54 i'll take a flue damper and a ell please next ,great looking job some times i really miss the one dayers but i think i'm getting to old the body needs more then a gym again as always everything straight and square and done correctly .Is the boiler set up cold start or did you leave the triple aquasat contrller always like to use them with the r expanable relay hook up zr/zc and you got low limit circ protection and keeping the boiler warm always keep it clean , peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • Ted_9
    Ted_9 Member Posts: 1,718
    heating

Nice job again.

Just curious, have you priced out webstone isolation flanges. check the ones in this pic. They are not much more than the ball valve and regular circ flanges.

• Yep , I remember that great install

And the labyrinth of a basement . Hope that steamer is working out good . I'm still waiting for our first one this season , I think it might be a Burnham V903 in a church .

Thanks David .
  • Clammy

Yep we used a 4 zone with priority and 8124A . We want to maintain some temp in these cast boilers . You know from experience like we do what the flame looks like firing in a semi-cold , cast iron pin boiler . And your eyes aint trickin' you , the air handler has a coil . I have no idea how they got the AH in there past the old boiler , but we definitely left enough room to replace it . The oil tank is a different story .

The tight space work you can get used to real fast . It becomes sorta like a spastic ballet . Thanks Clammy , I really appreciate your thoughts .
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    spaztic ballet

I'll have to remenber that i just left a job with a pug that suffers from accute seperation anixety it freaks out every time you walk past it quite strange but spaztic ballet i think that's how i feel every morning when the back is stiff i staztically crawl to the can then in 5 i,m erect sortta like a chimp for a few hours and before i go to bed i,m standing like a man oh no not standing layin down straight .Did you put a check valve or thermal loop besides ther ifc circ for that air handler seen alot that migrate and cycle the low limit in the summer when the a/c on on gas it,s another wet and drippy thing great for the burners peace and great luck my friend clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • Scott04
    Scott04 Member Posts: 69
    Isolation flanges

Ron,

I've been using the B&G IFC isolation flanges. For about the cost of an iron flo-check, you get one IFC isolation flange, and 1 regular isolation flange!
    The flange also swivel on the body, so you can put the valve where you want it, and angle the circulator any way you need to!

I have also used the flanges from Webstone, and they are also great. Real time savers. Don't remember the cost on them though.

Scott
This discussion has been closed.