Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

trane/carrier orifice coils

never cleaned them have had more plugged up in the last coupe years ,Your units are probably 2 to 5 years old .Cut out and braze new distributor .if they are sporlan they should have # stamped on them they are probably oem.

Comments

• Marty
    Marty Member Posts: 109

Anyone have any suggestions on cleaning out orifices on evap coils ? See them mostly on carriers the multiple orifices type and have gone to txv's on smaller units. 15 ton or so trane ycd the 1st stage has plugged up orifices in the header and there are just too many to go the txv route.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Plugged up

Morning!I'm not sure what is meant by "multiple orifices". Are you talking about the "octopus legs" (distributor legs)? What type of stuff is plugging them up?
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Going out on a limb here, but....

If in fact the units are 1 to 5 or 6 years old,....What is plugging it?. Contaminates must have been introduced at some point or something of the like. Like Techman stated I am used to the multiple ,(basically cap tube) style system. This is a very interesting subject since the system should have been properly fab'ed at the factory and everything should be right....... Does this Carrier have a LL filter dryer? If so, are you sure it is not the problem? Pressures and temps would help in determining the possible cause(s). Can you give Mod# Ser# and anything more that can help us help you?...;-)

I know you are hell bent in cleaning the orifice's, but let's work together and think of why or what caused this problem....

Mike T.
  • Techman
    Plugged Orifices

Mike T . made a good point about the LL filter drier as a possible culprit for plugging the orifice's. Is there a LL solenoid on the system? If so , Is the LL F/D located down stream (evap side) of the solenoid ? When the solenoid opens the hydraulic hammer effect will bust apart ANY filter/drier. Also you should install a suction F/D to catch the debris .Years back Rheem/Ruud had a whole bunch of distributor that had one or two of the capillaries brazed over during manufactoring.What type of stuff is plugging the capillaries?As the Professos say's sometimes "tell us more". Enjoy your day!
  • Marty
    Marty Member Posts: 109
    bad picture

Its a bad scan out of a sales brochure the orifices are right in each feeder tube from the liquid line header. First tech who worked on it found a filthy condensor coil washed it then found it running a 140 pound head 20 pound suction, leak checked couldn't find anything then put in at least 10 pounds of 22 before realizing something was wrong and calling for help. My first choice would be replace the whole coil if it comes with a new distributor or headear.
  • Techman
    Plugged

Do you have a full liquid line at the metering device?Whats the tonnage on this unit ? Can you get to the orifice ?
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    SOmething was wrong...

Can you tell us what you or he found after adding the 10 lbs R22? Was the blower up to FLA? Also that unit in the pic looks like a York RTU..

Mike T.
  • larry_15
    larry_15 Member Posts: 55
    orfices

anothermarty:

I have found the same problem on other carrie units. If I remember right there is a ten (could be five) year warrent on any defects in the coil. I would get the MD & SN numbers and ask your supplier to supply a new coil. What I found was the factory either ran out of or, never used nitrogen when brazing. Otherwise, I would tell the customer to replace the coil, it will be more cost afective than to try and clean out every one of those orfices.

Larry
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    Any Progress?

How did you make out with your clogged orifies? I hope you replaced the liquid line drier while the system was open...
This discussion has been closed.