Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

r-410 and r-22

Options
Question to Mastercool:

I purchased a Mastercool 99661 test setup. We are now working more and more with
R-410. The supply house that I bought unit from said it was safe to
just have a second set of hoses for R-410, I am a little concerned about
cross contamination, what is your stand on this. I hate to spend the
extra cash out of my pocket to have to buy a complete set-up for each
refrigerant. any assistance would be appreciated

Their reply:

The supply house has most experience in this area. They can give you the
best advice. Thank you, Customer Service.

Any input

Comments

• clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,111
    Options
    personally

TJ personally i have at least 4 set of gauges 2 good r 22 gauges and 1 set for recliming and a 2sets of 410 a gauges ,i have a set of each just for reclaiming and they are never used for charging new systems ,the 410 gauges hoses are as you know rated for much higher pressure ,i myself would not use 410 gauges on r 22 system and vise versa just a good practice and helps keep any cross contaimation from happening from either refregerant or oil peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • bill_71
    bill_71 Member Posts: 46
    Options

cross contamination of the oils is never a good thing. what clammy said is a VERY good practice....of course here is a mind blower, why do they make guages with the p/t conversion on them for r-22 AND 410a, that just screams out "use the same manifold and hoses for either refrigerant"
  • lee_7
    lee_7 Member Posts: 458
    Options

I've never seen guages with 22 and 410. Have seen 22 with 2 other refrigerants, but I always assumes they had similiar oils so cross contamination was not a problem. I have sets for each of the refrigerants that we work on, and they never have more then 1 type in them. Never thought it was worth the risk of messing a system up.
  • lee_7
    lee_7 Member Posts: 458
    Options

sorry double post
  • paul zeszotarski
    paul zeszotarski Member Posts: 33
    Options
    buy 2 sets

it is worth spending the money now for the gauges now instead of any chance of crossing refrigerant/oil into the system. buy one for servicing and one just for recovery
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Options
    Agree

Polyol ester oils used in R410a systems are not compatible with the mineral oils used in R22. A line set used for recovery may become contaminated with other gunk related to compressor burnouts, etc. So, having one set per refrigerant oil type (recovery and charging) seems like a great idea.

That said, there are split R410a systems out there ($$$) that can be retrofit onto R22 line sets (i.e. recover existing refrigerant, cut the outside and inside R22 unit, put in R410a equipment). These systems can purge the mineral oil out of the line sets on their own (over time) and also drop the R410a pressure to the point where the R22-compatible line sets can work with R410a. Impressive stuff, commercial application only, probably quite expensive, but apparently worth it in commercial applications where downtime is very expensive.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Options
    Cross contimination

I carry mp-39,hp80, r409,r134a,r-22,r410a,r502,r404 on the truck and r23 in the shop
This discussion has been closed.