Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cooler Freezer Installs?

Hi all,

Anyone have an easy Walk-in install? I was sent Monday to hook up the evap to the condenser on a walk-in freezer. Old walk-in, new coils. I start looking at the old coils that had been removed Fri. and wonder why the new stuff is so much larger.

Old evap coil a single fan, new 2 fans. Look at model number on the Copeland comp. 0100, a one horse motor. Found the txv, one ton rating. Looked at the OEM tag on freezer, 3800 btu needed. New coils are rated for 9000 btu. Yes the walk-in is old(International Cold Storage) and outside but double the size don't triple it!

Anyway the boss was surprised that it was going to take longer than he planned(1 guy, 1 day). I told him it was oversized. We need new tubing and electric and the condenser going on the ground instead of on the walk-in like the old one.

Got the unit started at the end of the day, but shut it off, the evap fans were cycing and I had 70 volts from the lineset to ground(why am I still shaking my hand?). Seeing the doctor today for gout, so I will start again tomorrow.

Sad thing is this job should of been done last week, but since we were just swapping out coils, the boss waited till monday.

Curious how others do start-ups on walk-ins, do you wait till it cycles on stat, before leaving, adjust txv within 5 degrees of setpoint? I don't like leaving things running unless you know what the system is doing and know you will not loose a compressor!

Don in MO

Comments

• don_156
    don_156 Member Posts: 87
    I just

try in clear the slight glass and then hope for 6 to 8 degree at the evaporator and 20 to 30 at the condenser.

If its alittle high I'll just let it go and return the next day after its pulled down and then tweak if needed.

• Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    W-I Freezer

Hi Don in MO ! Sounds like a mismatch of equipment. 3800 BTU box. about 6000 BTU from the 0100 compressor @ 0* evap,and a 9000BTU evap coil . How big is this W-I?When starting up a new system we let it run for a couple of hours then return the next day to recheck everything all over again. With a freezer we also put in tubs of water so the system has something to work on and we can judge how well the system is working by how frozen the water is .The evap fans cycling sounds normal considering the fan delay switches that most freezers have. The 70 volts from the lineset does not sound normal .Fill us in on how this system is doing!!Enjoy Your Day!
  • ddlong1286@yahoo.com
    ddlong1286@yahoo.com Member Posts: 139

Got the system running today. New cond and evap matched at 9000 Btu. Old walk-in.

Grounded the lights nuetral wire and it was brighter and no one got shocked.

Had 40 degress comp superheat with a 12 foot lineset so left it that way. Opened the valve twice to get that. Noticed that the dist. did not have an orfice in it. All the Heatcraft I have put in had an orfice to be installed. This Russell did not or my site is going along with the rest of my body!

Defrosted ok and down to -3 when I left. Will try to double check it tomorrow. They are putting food in it then.

Thanks
    Don in Mo
  • LarryC
    LarryC Member Posts: 331
    YOU GROUNDED THE NEUTRAL ??????

If you grounded the neutral to get rid of the voltage on the piping, then there was no neutral pulled or the neutral is open. Either way, an electrician should investigate. Grounding wires should not normally be carrying any current.

LarryC
  • ddlong1286@yahoo.com
    ddlong1286@yahoo.com Member Posts: 139
    Agree whole heartedly

BUT,

If you have a 220v system with a ground wire and no one pulled a neutral because no one was planning on a 120v need than you have my scenario and one of thousands to deal with.

I am sure when this was installed years ago that the code was not followed or too lax concerning grounds and neutrals. I inform the customer about these situations and sometimes they fix it and other times not. "Hey it worked like that for over 20 years, what's the problem?"

Don in Mo
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    Great point, Randy

The single most popular mistake that is made when starting up walk-in equipment is doing so with no load on the system. WIth no load, an improperly set up system will still cool the box with no problem. It's important to keep a load on the system.

Your a good (tech) man, Randy!
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    Please post your results

Don,

Take one for the team and provide me (us) with the following information when you get back on the job:

Refrigerant:

High side pressure:

Low side pressure:

Evaporator outlet temperature:

Condenser outlet temperature:

Compressor inlet temperature (6" on suction line form compressor inlet):

Actual voltage supplied to the compressor:

Actual running amp draw of the compressor:

Box temperature:

Temperature of the air entering the condener coil:

Thanks buddy and good luck!
  • LarryC
    LarryC Member Posts: 331
    I understand but I still don't agree

Don,

I understand about existing wiring, but when YOU grounded the neutral, YOU just became liable. Didn't you say that the power upgraded for the larger compressor?

How was the light wired previously? What changed?

LarryC
This discussion has been closed.