Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

El Cheapo, oil/steel/tanklessDHO

bill_105
bill_105 Member Posts: 429
I have a customer who needs a new oil fired boiler. The old boiler has gone up around the bend. I sent him a quote for the goods after doing a heatloss. Well he can't find two nickles to rub together. The fact remains that his present boiler is NG and I'm in the position of having to find an alternative. My thought is a "10 year" boiler, steel with a tankless coil. What do you think?
Peace
Matthew
P.S.
That shouild say tanklessDHW not DHO:-7

Comments

• Jim_64
    Jim_64 Member Posts: 253
    How much

do you really save with a steel dry base boiler? Same labor,same piping,same wiring,same controls etc. The only difference is the cost of the boiler,$300?$400?$500? Whatever small amount it is,is it worth it?
  • bill_105

I see big changes in the next ten years and I would like to avoid installing a "better" boiler, that will end up being an outdated but newer boiler. I'ld like to see something funtional for the next few years making heat and domestic hot water and and not give the impression of 'new enough" or we/they just put it in ten years ago shouldn't it last 30 years? I realize that the price diff is not really the issue here. But if I'm going to install an outdated boiler with a tankless I don't want it to last 30 years
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    if I'm going to install an outdated boiler with a tankless I don

I hope this is something you are going to discuss with the customer. He is the one who will have to live with the decision, so he should participate in the making of it. Maybe you are being clear of your preference with the customer.

Were I the customer, I would not want you putting in a 10-year boiler when I was expecting a 30-year one. But if I am planning on moving in less than 10 years, a 10-year boiler might be just what I want.
  • bill_105

Yes of course, I had a number of long discussions with him. The fact is he whats the nice boiler and tank and controls but he really can't afford anything. He's concidering selling/renting, moving etc.
    I want to do the right thing for him keeping in mind the right thing for the building. He's on board with mt plan B
    peace
  • M grallert

If this potential customer is as bad-off as you say,,("he can't find two nickles to rub together"), then I would walk away.
    Sounds like "operating at a loss" is prevalent on this job.

Dave
This discussion has been closed.