Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What I will be Teaching

Although pressure enthalpy is a more advanced topic, I introduce the concepts to my students during their very first semester at the college.

The seminar is organized so that the forst portion is a review of the basic refrigeration cycle, with emphasis placed on component function, superheat, subcooling and other goodies.

Once the basics have been discussed we move into pressure enthalpy on a conceptual level. This helps understand the workings of the system and not just how to put numbers into a formula.

The really neat thing about this seminar is that, no matter how much (or how little) experience you have, you will still walk away with a wealth of knowledge.

As far as a Boston area seminar goes, I have nothing planned as of yet, but I will contact you when we come to your area.

Hope to see you soon.

Comments

• Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380

Here is a (relatively) quick once-over of what will be covered at my April 10th seminar at the Holiday Inn Select in College Park, GA

Geared towards those of you (chillheads)who service air conditioning equipment, this 5-hour seminar starts with a graphical review of the basic refrigeration cycle, which will help clarify the concepts that will be discussed later on. The concept of a repeating-cycle versus a non-repeating cycle is discussed as well.

As part of the refrigeration cycle review/disussion, the concepts of superheat and subcooling will be addressed in a manner that will leave you wondering why you ever had difficulty with these ideas in the past. Be sure to ask me about the desert island at the seminar!

Now that we've got the preliminary work out of the way, it's time to delve deep into the world of pressure-enthalpy. But not like you would expect. No need for calculus or the like, we'll discuss this topic in easy-to-understand English so that service technicians, apprentices, service managers and others who wish to be in-the-know will have absolutely no problems following along.

But what exactly is pressure-enthalpy?

Glad you asked!

Pressure is, well, pressure... So far so good, right? Great.

Enthalpy is heat. Plain and simple.

The pressure enthalpy chart (also known as the Mollier diagram) is a graphical way to see an air conditioning or refrigeration system with regards to pressure and heat.

To plot an air conditioning system on the p-e or p-h diagram (pressure-enthalpy, or pressure-heat) you take the information you have already obtained from your basic service, such as system pressures and temperatures, and plot these data on the chart. With practice, this can take as little as 2 minutes.

Now... with this completed chart, you will be able to perform some really cool (no pun intended) calculations. You will be able to determine the actual system capacity, condenser capacity, energy efficieny rating (EER) and a whole lot more. Wouldn't it be great to go up to a system that has a 3-ton nameplate and know for sure that you are getting at least 3 tons of cooling from it? I think so!

In addition, the completed pressure enthalpy chart, along with the calculations you performed, is a great troubleshooting tool. Being able to "see" what is going on inside those refrigerant lines give you that added edge that separates average technicians from great ones.

Here's what you get at the seminar:

1 - A full 5 hours of learning time with an industry recognized and decorated teacher (that's me)

2 - A copy of my celebrated book: PRESSURE ENTHALPY WITHOUT TEARS

3 - A kit that contains all you need to begin plotting air conditioning and refrigeration systems on your own (The kit contains a binder for note taking, clear plastic ruler, colored pencils colored pens, a calculator and a laminated pressure-enthalpy reference card)

4 - A floppy disc with an Excel spreadsheet program that will do all of the presure enthalpy calculations for you!

The materials you walk away with are worth the price of admission by themselves!

In addition to the technical materials you get, you will also be fed...TWICE... WOW!

So guys.... what are you waiting for?

I look forward to seeing you guys (and gals) in April!

Here's the brochure:
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    bbbbump

• Biged
    Biged Member Posts: 117
    Pressure enthalpy seminar

Hello Mr. professor, I did go to school years ago (5 years)but have never worked in the field on the cooling side of the trade.
    Is this a good seminar for me? Furthermore i'm in Boston is there any seminars closer?
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Two Weeks to Go!

• don_156
    don_156 Member Posts: 87
    Two months

for us in Virginia..We're at 15 now Professor.

The guys here are all getting sike about meeting you and learning again,something new.

And to the guys that only have two weeks left...have a great time and lets us know what you are finding with this
    new tool in action.

• Eugene Silberstein 3
    How is May 24th for You?

Don,

How is May 24th for you and the guys?
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Do you have enough room?

Do you have enough room or do we have to make arrangements for a meeting space?
  • don_156
    I'm not sure

How much room do you need?

Ever work off a layout table in a sheetmetal shop before?

Just messing with ya.I thinking if I move some of the layout table and a few machine we should be find.

• don_156
    Thats fine

the 24th it is.Thankyou.
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    All the Time!

I'm putting you down in pen for the 24th!
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    I dropped You an e-mail

Don,

I dropped you an e-mail about the May 24th date. I was under the impression that the 24th was the Thursday, but it is actually the Wednesday. Is Thursday the 25th okay, as I have an early morning meeting at the colllege on Wedensday?
  • don_163
    don_163 Member Posts: 67
    Professor

I have understanding customer..thursday the 25th is fine by me.

We're in our pm mode this time of year so it works out great for all of us.

Make it easy on yourself Professor no pressure on this end.
    Other then the wife..but I just run to the shop when that gets started.LOL.

Thanks again Professor and I'll check my mail so we can work out the details.

This discussion has been closed.