Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Estimate

I dont usually ask what other guys charge, however, this is my first commercial job (I'm actually helping a friend out or I wouldnt even be doing this)but I was just curious if a couple of you could give me a rough estimate as to whether or not im in the ball park with my price. It is a small cafe/restaurant that will be getting a 10 ton A/C split system (Armstrong) lineset, sheet metal duct work (insulated as well) all of the sheet metal branches, a ten year part and labor extended warranty, I estimated about 40 hours labor and a few odds and ends that go with all jobs. Can maybe a couple of you guys let me know roughly what a job like this would be bid for?? Thanks so much guys I really appreciate you help!

Comments

• Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Prices...

Although prices are not discussed here because of the many variables, It would be unfair to give you what I personally think because There are unseen costs that only you can see. 40 hours for a complete job? is that with 2,4,6 men etc... See what I mean? Also, if you can go with a roof top unit do it, because when it fails the last place they want to see you is in the building getting in the way. May cost more but what do you want to sell??? Dont forget the room where you A/H is will be packed with CRAP. All restaurants do it I dont care what anybody say's. That's why I am insistant on Rtu equipment.

Mike T.
  • fast5frog
    fast5frog Member Posts: 21
    Rooftop

Unfortunately, there is no way for a rooftop unit to work. The unit will be going in the basement so if any service has to be done I wont be in the way. Also it is 40 hrs. for 2 men. That may be on the high side but I just want to be safe. I have finished everything yet but I am thinking that in total, it may come out to around $11,000. I guess what I'm getting at is this a reasonable number for a commercial job or too high? Like I said, I'm just lookin for ballpark numbers so I dont overcharge, like I said Im doing this as a favor but Im not doing it for free.
  • Empire_2
    ;--) Ron...

Take a good look at you numbers... You have to decide what your man hours are, Material cost, Equipment, and everything else that comes with the job. Me,....I dont think I'd touch this job for even 13,000 Dont forget you have to warranty it, service it, make sure it the right pc. of equipment, guarentee it, Install the darn thing, Pay your guy's, medical, etc......40 hours for 2 men,...Just kidding ,but that will cover coffee breaks, shoe tieing every morning and dont forget, bathroon breaks.. ;--) I think Ya came out real light on the proposal.....

Good Luck Mike T.
  • fast5frog
    Thats OK

> Take a good look at you numbers... You have to

> decide what your man hours are, Material cost,

> Equipment, and everything else that comes with

> the job. Me,....I dont think I'd touch this job

> for even 13,000 Dont forget you have to warranty

> it, service it, make sure it the right pc. of

> equipment, guarentee it, Install the darn thing,

> Pay your guy's, medical, etc......40 hours for 2

> men,...Just kidding ,but that will cover coffee

> breaks, shoe tieing every morning and dont

> forget, bathroon breaks.. ;--) I think Ya came

> out real light on the proposal.....

>

> Good Luck

> Mike T.

• fast5frog
    Thats OK

For me right now, Thats fine. Im helpin a friend, and it will be a good learning experience for me. I have just started up my own business and need the work as well. So we both make out i suppose. Thanks alot for your input though I really appreciate it!
  • Empire_2
    That's fine Ron,

> For me right now, Thats fine. Im helpin a friend,

> and it will be a good learning experience for me.

> I have just started up my own business and need

> the work as well. So we both make out i suppose.

> Thanks alot for your input though I really

> appreciate it!

• Empire_2
    That's fine Ron,

But next time add up All of your equipment, material, Labor and Possibly double that figure. That wii get you somewhat close. I'll bet in all of the above you paid around $8,000.00 Did you include diffusers or registers?... Anyways, 10 to system, you will need to twin the system if a a 2 stg t-stat, but I think you get the picture. I guess you have to learn, but don't sell yourself short......OK?

Mike T
  • fast5frog
    Thanks

Yeah actually, thats pretty good. I think materials plus tax, extended warranty, labor, etc. it came to about 11,000 like I said, but I just wanted to make sure I wasnt selling myself short, but thanks again Mike, youve been a big help. I guess in the long run as long as Im happy with what im being paid, and their happy with the price and job, everyone wins, right?
  • Marty
    Marty Member Posts: 109

10 year warranty ???? on a commercial application ?
  • Empire_2
    Ron Just so you know

No extended warranty will be offered by ANY manufacturer at 10 years, let alone 5 years. You asked a Q: about selling yourself short, and I don't know where the wires got crossed, but Yes I think you will have just enough left over for a case of your favorite beer.. :--) Friend or no friend, you still have to make it worth you while, and back it cause if it dont work,. Man he'll see your a-- in court. Espically if it does not work as expected. If he looses customers when it's hot out guess who gets the call???.......

Mike T.
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    selling short

For a 10 ton split system it sounds alot of short for me but you live and learn and that's what it's about but at 1100 a ton i my self would walk away .If you are not getting your mimium hourly rate then it's kinda a wash .I myself have found that when you do jobs for a cheap price you do get more of the same type of custermers that want cheap and offering a 10 year year extended warranty on armstrong equiptment kinda sounds like some thing you sooner or later will be married to .Do yopurself a favor and don't sell yourself short and remenber this for nothing you can work any where peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    Well said Clammy

"For nothing, you can work anywhere".

I like it...

Kind of like the watch salesman who buys watches for $15.00 and sells them for $13.00. A guy asked him, "You buy watches for fifteen dollars and sell them for thirteen. How do you make money?" The watch salesman said, "Volume!"

Never sell yourself short. You are a professional and deserve to be compensated as one.

Just remember that people do not value what they do not pay for.

From what you mentioned here as far as your estimate goes, I personally would be closer to $20k. At $11k I'm not even sure you would be covering your costs.

You are selling expertise, not watches.
  • don_156
    don_156 Member Posts: 87
    Cheer up

Ron..it will only take you acouple of these jobs and you will know for sure you left lots of money on the table.

The only advise I can offer you is being a good installer and tech is one thing..knowing your cost of doing business is a whole nutter is that word??? story.

I ve got two words for you books and more.Ok that three.

Anyway look for Mrs Ellen Rohr books.This will help you get a better understanding on how to make everything you deserve.

It gets better I assure you.

This discussion has been closed.