Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Purge carts

ScottH
ScottH Member Posts: 4
I am trying to find either a commercially avaliable purge cart or plans to build one. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Comments

• Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    For Fire Sprinkler systems? *~/;)

• Purge Cart

Check out B & D Manufacturing in Scranton, IA. (712) 652-3424. Talk to Dallas.

RC

• Brad White_13
    Brad White_13 Member Posts: 3
    John Siegenthaler

has a good description in his book "Modern Hydronic Heating (Second Edition)". Simply made with a 1 HP ("minimum" JS insists) pool pump and filter, a 30 gallon trash can, some plywood and PVC pipe with unions for disassembly.

But I will check out that commercial link already posted. It should be commercially available. Very handy especially on construction sites before the domestic water is fully run.
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    What type of capacity?

> Check out B & D Manufacturing in Scranton, IA.

> (712) 652-3424. Talk to Dallas.

>

> RC

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    What type of capacity?

I've built a few with a 1/2 hp Teel pump from Graingers. Liberty makes a nice lightweight aluminum 1/2 hp transfer pump also.

This is plenty for most residential and light commercial jobs. It generally stays down arount 25 psi so as not to pop the boiler relief.

If you do a lot of ground source of large commercial with large diameter long loops, then a 1 hp may be a better choice. On my large commercial 600 foot 3/4 loops, I can still power purge one, sometimes two loops at a time with the 1/2 hp.

If you want to flow a bunch of loops at one time, then you need the gpm. And HP to drive it.

If you go high hp, keep an eye on the pressure as you purge. Or else bypass the boiler and relief for purging.

I like to install a gauge right at the pump discharge, as well as a ball valve, to keep an eye on my purge pressure.

A shut off switch at the pump is handy also if things get happening too fast :)

hot rod
This discussion has been closed.