Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Three way switches

Yes this is a timer to turn the lights on at night. Its basiclly a switch with a digital timer built in. The three way switch (there is one upstairs and one downstairs) can turn on the coach lamps (2) from either location. The timer switch has two blacks and I'm not sure how to connect it.

Comments

• Todd S_8
    Todd S_8 Member Posts: 26
    Wiring three way switches

I bought a timer for a three way switch. I can't seem to figure out the proper wiring though. This is the setup: two outdoor coach lamps, 2 - three way switches inside (in different areas) controlling the same. The electrician has this wired with two blacks and a white. I'm having a hard time figuring out which wires go where and whether or not a jumper on the second switch is needed. The switch came with basic wiring schematic, but not for 1 spst and 1 timer. Do you know where I could find a good wiring diagram?
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    What do you mean 3 way switch?

Your timer has to be the first to see power so it can make or break the power to the lamps. When the contacts on the timer close to give you light, you will be sending power to the 2 lamps you are describing. As far as the 3 way switch I'm not sure what you mean. Also is this timer the kind you buy in stores for tirning on lights when nobody is home?

Mike T.
  • Glenn Harrison_2
    Glenn Harrison_2 Member Posts: 845
    Here's a basic wiring diagram

http://www.electrical-online.com/extra-graphics/3wayswitch.htm

As you can see the two blacks act kind of like jumpers between the two switches. If you timer is a one way and not three way, you will have to pick one black wire tocarry the power, and wire nut both ends of the other black wire. Change the other 3-way switch to a single pole switch, or eliminate it all together.

Or look aroung a little deaper, you may be able to find a three way timer that would make wiring simple for you.
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    Dia.

Try this
    bob
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    Dia.

Try this
    bob
  • carol_3
    carol_3 Member Posts: 397

• carol_3
    carol_3 Member Posts: 397

Here's a drawing of 3 ways to do it.
  • Todd S_8
    Todd S_8 Member Posts: 26
    Thank you all

For the assistance. This is on the schedule for one of next weekends projects.
This discussion has been closed.