Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heat Gain Software

Thanks guys I will look at all of them..

Josh

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=434&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Josh_10
    Josh_10 Member Posts: 787

Just out of curiosity what are you guys using for heat gain software? I have been doing my heat gains by hand as I only do around one cooling job a month, but that is growing tiresome. Thanks in advance.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    Elite CHVAC

is my own personal program in the office but our office standard is HAP (hourly analysis program) by Carrier. I use Elite CHVAC as a check (it is faster in some ways) and uses the ASHRAE CLTD and RTS methods.

Key to any aside from ease of use is that they reference or use ASHRAE-based algorithms which are referenced or required by many state's energy codes, at least for commercial or above-residential work.

Hand calculations are indeed tedious, especially modeling solar loads room by room as the sun moves around the building....

When teaching at the Boston Architectural Center, I would have each student calculate a heat gain and loss for "their favorite room", by which they forever would have a point of comparison at a level of detail... but could never gather the heart to have them calculate a whole-building based series of rooms wrapped around a building.

I am with you, Josh...
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Josh, Try this.

It's a free trial version of Right "J" done on PC. www.hvaccomputer.com Nice program and includes boiler sizing and either total structure or room by room if you like. Try it out. It's free trial version.

Mike T.
  • Tim_33
    Tim_33 Member Posts: 83
    Trane Trace 700

is what we use for the larger jobs. I still do heat gains and losses by hand for smaller jobs (like a dozen rooms or less).

Brad, have you ever used Trane's?
  • Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    Trane Trace

Years ago that was one my previous office used as a secondary standard before settling on E-20, the Carrier forerunner of today's HAP. Is there anything new under the sun with Trace, Tim? I am not familiar with any current version to speak of.
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    Personally...

Personally a fan of Manual J... Once you know this one, all of the rest are a piece of cake.
This discussion has been closed.