Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Pots

Options
Dick_6
Dick_6 Member Posts: 1
We are looking at replacing a steam boiler which supplies
steam to 2 steam kettles. With the existing system, the pots are just blown down and the boiler is always filled with new water, shortening it's life span.

The owner would like to repipe the kettles with a condensate
pump to reuse the water. One kettle is a tipping type kettle.
There is a pipe connection on the left hinge where a relief valve can be attached. I have seen a similar setup where the return is connected here. This outlet though is "ABOVE" the water line so I am not sure if this would allow the removal of the water in the jacket unless there is a dip tube in the jacket.

ANYBODY KNOW MORE ABOUT THESE POTS???????

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    Options
    My guess

is that there's a dip tube in the pot.

Another thought would be to feed the boiler through a small water heater, and have the hot feed water flow through a good air separator. That will extend the life of the boiler.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    ****, you should ask

industrial trap suppliers such as Spirax-Sarco or YarWay. The application you're working with is pretty common and I'm sure they have something on it.

I'm out of town at the moment, but will check my own archives when I return.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Jim Bennett
    Jim Bennett Member Posts: 607
    Options
    Out of town....

and still checking in on "The Wall"

You are a great asset to this site Frank.

Vacation I hope.

Jim
    Jim Bennett
  • Brad White_189
    Brad White_189 Member Posts: 16
    Options
    I agree with Steamhead on contacting

Spirax-Sarco. They have two great books, one called (IIRC) "Steam Utilization" and the other, less formally, "Hook-Ups". You want both but the latter has piping diagrams and parts.

I got mine free from my local Spirax-Sarco representative and keep extra copies on hand for my apprentice engineers. After 30 years, I still refer to these.

For steam kettles specifically, you do know that these usually use medium pressure steam (30 to 50 PSI usually but whatever they recommend).

Inverted bucket traps are also commonly used. On start-up they produce lots of condensate on the process-side if from a cold start.

When used in school cafeterias, they produce un-holy amounts of creamed corn, so be extra-careful.
This discussion has been closed.