Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

cold start vs maintain temp w/ indirect water heater

Options
i have been cleaning boilers longer than i want to admit and every time i service a cold start it is caked up and takes longer to clean and have installed more target walls in cold starts the new boilers are more efficient and they only run a few min. so for a few bucks more u get hot water and heat inatantly just a thought from royboy

Comments

• lumen electric
    lumen electric Member Posts: 1
    Options
    cold start vs maintain temp w/ indirect water heater

I have a burnhan v8 series boiler w/ a riello gun. I have 2 zones of baseboard and an indirect hot mater heater. {super store} I'm trying to a an answer on how to wire this set up. Half the people I talk to tell me to cold start it , the other half ,mostly any oil company, tell me to maintain the temperature. I would like to know what you think , so i can commit to one way or another.
    Thank you
    Derek -lumen electric
  • Paul Fredricks_5
    Paul Fredricks_5 Member Posts: 132
    Options

I am a firm believer in maintaining at least some temperature. Not so much in issue in the winter, but in the off seasons.

Picture this. It's 60 degrees outside and the house is warm enough that the boiler hasn't fired all night. You turn on the shower. After a minute or two the tank calls for more hot water to be made. The burner fires, but the circulator starts running too. Now the boiler, with it's 60-70 degree water running through the coil in the indirect, is actually cooling the water in the indirect. That can't be the economical way to go.
  • Dave Stroman
    Dave Stroman Member Posts: 765
    Options

Put the pump on a timed delay. Or use an aquastat installed right near the boiler outlet to prevent the pump from coming on until the boiler has a chance to warm up.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.