Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Rhode Island??

jp_2
jp_2 Member Posts: 1,935
i find, the more land you have, the smaller the house can be, you'll end up outside more. use the house only for sleeping!

Comments

• Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040

We will be heading out this fall to look at 6 acres or so for sale in Tiverton. Any opinions of this area? I just recently learned that NE is not a state, but an area...that is the extent of my NE experience. House is originally 1700's and has a shop & barn & cool features.

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • Bob Vennerbeck
    Bob Vennerbeck Member Posts: 105
    why Rhode Island

I've been a Rho Die-lander for 53 years and counting... I guess that counts as an opinion....
    Where are you coming from? What are you expecting? What do you need?

Vbob
  • Timco

Wife's son is in law school at rodger williams and we have been looking for land with a shop, barn, and such. We are in SLC, UT right now but looking for a change. Neither of us are from here. We are expecting to not have a neighbor that can see through your window with that kind of land, and to occupy a older, historic home. We need more land, interior space, and shop space. I would look to work with someone for a few years and see what happened from there. I really enjoy shooting, but am unsure if I could shoot on my property or if there are any public lands (BLM lands) to shoot on besides a range. She likes the green and history, but I have never been to the east coast...

Tim
  • Timco

the place we are looking at has a 3300sq' house, with barn, shop, and other outbuildings. It has 6 acres, with an option for 20 total. We currently have 1200sq' and .25 acre.

Tim
  • Ruthe Jubinville_2
    Ruthe Jubinville_2 Member Posts: 674
    even if NE is not a state

the area is a great place to live. In my opinion. Good luck
    Ruthe
  • Brad White_202
    Brad White_202 Member Posts: 105
    I (heart) Tiverton

I love most of RI and Tiverton is one of my favorite corners. It abuts Fall River on one side and is a bridge away from Aquidneck Island (Portsmouth, Middletown and Newport). Farm country and there is Little Compton, a gem of a town to the south. Bristol (Roger Williams College you know), Warren and Barrington to the north. All nice villages, a mix of things.

I would love to show you around.
  • I live in Riverside, RI

which is not far from Tiverton. My training center is in Warren RI near the bay. Tiverton is a great town and has lots of those type of house, land, barn setups that go back many years.

I came to this area with the U.S. navy in 1959 met a RI girl and have been here ever since. New England is a place that with a short drive of three hours or less you can be in the mountains, the sea shore or just neat little towns and villages with lots of interesteing antique stores.If it is cities that you want there is Boston 1 hour away and Providence 20 minutes Great restaurants good churches and lots of great people.

My grandson just graduated from Roger Williams a great school with a beautiful campus and is a growing and thriving campus. My grandson graduated from the architectural school.
  • Timco

Hey Brad....so glad to hear that you love Tiverton. I've been trying to persuade Tim to fly out with me and take a look at this sweet piece of property...5.5 acres, old house, newer barn,stable, shop, other out buildings, rock walls. Will rent to my son who's just finishing law school, for a year to two then plan to relocate. Trying to schedule a trip before Thanksgiving. Would be lovely to see you and meet Susan. We will keep you posted.

J.
  • jp_2
    jp_2 Member Posts: 1,935
    more land, more land

i went from 4.5 acres to 14 acres. its great.

go for it if you can, you can always sell later, your guns will like it too.
  • Timco

So how far would I have to travel on average for work? I would be looking for boiler type work as a tech / installer for someone else... for a few years anyway...

Tim
  • You can drive from one end of

RI to the other in about an hour.

When you are coming get in touch with me as I can connect you with many who are looking for good technicans. I have a working relationship with a local company the Gas Doctor who is always looking for help.

I also have several plumbing and heating companies here in RI who would be looking for someone. Keep in mind to install in RI you need a Master Pipefitter II license which covers up to 500,000 BTus. Pipefitter I for over that. Plumbers can't install heating equipment in RI.
  • Timco

We will be out there from the 11th of Nov until the 17th. Tim, could you set up a meeting with 2 or 3 of your favorite hydronic companies? Brad, we would love to meet up with you & Susan and have dinner! Please let me know what works...

Tim
  • Brad White_202
    Brad White_202 Member Posts: 105
    Well hey, cool!

Let's do that! It will be great to see you and Joan again, show you around... November is a powerful month, grand weather looking out over Narragansett Bay and down the Sakonnet River. I have kayaked both in all months, I think you will love it.

Let's chat off-line and coordinate!

Brad
This discussion has been closed.