Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

No hot water to attic radiator

Options
Did you say it seperates with tee's? Do you have balancing valves onthe circuits? If so close the first and second floor and see if the water circulates through the attic. If not try purging it. If you have enough pressure, there is a good chance there is an air bubble some where on that circuit. If it starts to circulate when you close off the other two floors leave it run that way for about 15 minutes to move the bubbles back to your air seperator. For your pressure measure your height from the boiler to the top of the radiator multiply by 1/2 (.5) and add 2 psi then adjust your expansion tank pressure to that and pressurize your system to that pressure. I have had that problem on systems with tees if everythig else was right closing the other branches to force the water through that branch has worked to get the water moving. Good luck
Mark

Comments

• Bill Julian
    Bill Julian Member Posts: 162
    Options
    No hot water to the attic radiator

I am getting no hot water to my top floor radiator. New boiler, all lower floors heating good. Press 17LBS, Temp 180.
    All cast iron radiators. Probably 30 feet up to the attic.
    The radiator up there has water through the bleeder as well.

Any help??
  • Matthew Grallert
    Matthew Grallert Member Posts: 109
    Options

Anything happening in the pipes, valves etc. near the rad? New rad or is it origanal? How many rads in the building
  • kpc_40
    kpc_40 Member Posts: 62
    Options
    did you adjust the extrol tank pressure?

• Bill Julian
    Options

Matthew, we have water to the radiator but not hot not even warm. Original radiator. ABout 8 radiators in the house. 4 first floor, 3 second, and 1 in attic
  • Bill Julian
    Options

Extrol is a #60 no adjusting
  • lee_7
    lee_7 Member Posts: 458
    Options

what is pressure in system?
    edit: sorry did not see pressure, try raising to 20 psi and then bleed radiator again, see if that helps
  • lee_7
    Options

what is pressure in system?
  • kpc_40
    Options
    pull it off & drain

The pressure in the tank is probably set for 12#. pump it up to about 18#....kpc
  • Matthew Grallert
    Options

hmm i'ld think your pressure is good. 12 psi should get it up there but if it higher than 30' your pressure should be up a bit. Take the pressure off of the system and check the pressure in the ex tank you'll need a gauge with a really low scale. Then you can bring up the pressure in small steps. like to 15psi the ex tank need to match the feed setting.try that
    Peace
    Matthew
  • Bill Julian
    Options

Didn't know you could do that?
  • Bill Julian
    Options

You'll notice my first post says that the pressure is 17PSI
    180 Degree F. Water in radiator but no heat
  • lee_7
    Options

try turning thermostat up 10 degrees and see if it gets hot then. How is boiler piped in basement? Is it a monoflo system which has a pipe doing a circle around perimeter of basement with both feed and return from 1 pipe, or does it have a supply and return pipe?
  • Matthew Grallert
    Options

Ya sorry. I'ld check with a second pressure gauge. and then i'ld trace to see how far the heat is getting.
    And make sure the ex tank press is the same as the feed pressure.
    Over and Out
  • Bill Julian
    Options

The boiler system piping is that the feed pipe runs through the basement teeing off with branches to each radiator, same with return using separate tees. They don't look like mono-flow tees though. Plenty of heat everywhere nice and warm but not the attic.
  • kpc_40
    Options
    yes...

there is a air valve/ schreader valve on the bottom. All water& pressure must be out...
  • Paul_94
    Paul_94 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    when to raise the psi in a Extrol tank

When do I raise the psi in a extrol tank? whats the max psi you should raise it too?, also how much should the psi expand from 70 degree water to 180 degree water?
  • jp_2
    jp_2 Member Posts: 1,935
    Options
    piping

if I understand your piping, sounds like it could be a partial clog in that pipe? or too much resistance to flow compared to the other radiators? maybe a failed valve?
  • EMB
    EMB Member Posts: 37
    Options
    Closely spaced tees

Dan had a really good story on this. If you're getting water its not air, stop bleeding. Look at how the attic radiator is connected to the system, specifically the supply and return.
This discussion has been closed.