Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

I smell gas...

kpc_40
kpc_40 Member Posts: 62
it is clear what boiler it is. The company in the past has always made sure that mistakes are not repeated,,,,,kpc

Comments

• Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040

I guess AL on CI just does not make a good seal...there was a lot of gas leaking from this, only when it fired of course. Solution was RTV red silicone, which I am told was supposed to be there. Please check your installs for gas leaks! I really like these boilers, but this is a big goof...ever find anything similar on another boiler?

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • Wow, what brand boiler?

I found just the opposite in my very expensive Rock River Arms target .45 It has a two piece guide rod and it was threaded together with the red loctite. Apparently someone at the factory thought they were doing me a favor. Had to use a lot more force than I wanted to in order to get it apart to clean the first time. I had to double wrench it. I returned the rod to them and they sent me another. But I digress... :)
  • Timco

I am a bit reluctant to name names, but wonder what 'yall think about naming names. As I mentioned, I really like the boiler, but this was a HUGE screw-up...and I am having one hell of a time convincing my customer it will not send him and his family to the moon....or that the rest of it is sound.

Tim
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318

yep from the description and the pic it is clear who had the gasket issue. At least they seem to stand behind te stainless steel boilers they have sold under another color of jacket. There was a recall on their condensate wye fitting but they sent me the parts and a check to defer some of the cost of changing the parts. I will check them as I install thanks for the heads up.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Maine Ken
    Maine Ken Member Posts: 531

Tim, is theis the only one? I have three in various stages of install now. I will be checking extra carefully!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Timco

I have not heard an official explanation yet as this happened today at 4 or so. I sent a bill for my services to fix their boiler at the normal rate. I was also told that the gas flex connector inside the factory welded flare connector has been leaking and has been sealed with the same black 'tar' they use on all other water connections. I had to replace the factory flare and 12" flex line as well as the inducer to boiler connection.

Tim
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    no naming names

i am glad to see no names on this public post.
    we all remember 100+ posts about a certain boiler prolem earlier in this year or last which resulted a constant harangue.
    i am sure if any one needs to know the make, he can e-mail you privately.
    that is not to say i am in favor of a coverup of bad or dangerous products, but i think the supplier [and manufacturer]should be told first, and given a chance to respond if only to other professional installers.--nbc
  • Timco

My point exactly. Again, I really like this boiler, and hope it is an isolated incident. My intent is to give those who recognize this unit a heads up to check their installs...this was a big goof up but a very reputable company with a quality product.

Tim
  • OK,,,

I'm afraid I don't recognize it so I guess I don't install them. Not a problem.
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    BUT

Is'nt that what this site is supposed to be about ... prfessionals talking about problems and corrections ?

How do the rest of us know what to look for if we don't discuss the issuies we see in the field.

I have lots of manufactuing friends but that dosn't mean I cover up a problem if it happens.

There may have been 100 post about a boiler but our host did not remove it ..

Scott

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • don_185
    don_185 Member Posts: 312
    I agree

I agree with Scott.

Its like yellin headsup after already being hit in the head.

• Eh,,,

I emailed him. I read that "other boiler" thread so I understand his hesitance.
  • don_185
    don_185 Member Posts: 312
    brand bashing

That was brand bashing on that other thread.This is about
    true professional addressing issue without, having a agenda
    other then the customer safety.

Now I know how a cop feels when he trying to catch a robber and people see who done it but,fear that if they say something they will be consider a snitch.

• Yes but,,,

that's the way the other thread started too. It's unfortunate that a few (as usual) would ruin it for the majority and we now have to think along those terms.
  • Timco

I got back to MPF about the name, and you can email me at timco@xmission.com if you really want to know the make of this. I just will not put this boiler through what Vito just went through or the other big name. Just not fair to a fine product. We are humans and humans built this unit right here in the USA. I know that those who install this boiler know how to ID it and now know what to look for. Just trying to be professional about this and really thought long & hard about even posting it, but felt obligated to as I know several here install it, and you have a right to know. Your customers would feel the same as mine does, and if you can avoid that after managing to sell one of these top shelf units, great...

Tim
  • Yup,

he did. Thanks Tim.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,832
    That is Scary,,,looks like there should be REAL gasket

not a make your own. Hey, no product is perfect and good thing you caugght it. Mad Dog

• Timco

Update...

There was also a large leak between the hood & block. Canola oil is used to make a wet seal, but also stops the RTV sealant from bonding, and there was gas coming from 2 spots on the hood to block connection and the inducer to hood connection...

Tim
  • Maine Ken
    Maine Ken Member Posts: 531

Tim, do you still have the test sheet that comes w/ the boiler? It will have the actual names of who tested what and what the results were. I bet that the manufacturer would like to see the sheet!

This discussion has been closed.