Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

anybody ever work on one of these?

trane (former GE) heatpump.

worked on this one this past weekend - charge was low - works great now but numbers still seemed a bit funky. probably dirty since it hasn't had a cleaning in over a decade or maybe never. anyone know them well (1984 vintage)? ss

Comments

• John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 950
    OLD!!!

GE sold to Trane in 1982 but at a guess I'd say 70s of some sort. Newer compressor being orange, back then they were tan.
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    Fond Memories

Mid 80's, yes.

Brings back some of my few memories of that decade!
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 950
    OLDER

Couldn't be mid 80s, Trane bought GE in 1982 and no more GE branded units were sold after that. Your memories are older than you think
  • don_151
    don_151 Member Posts: 1
    John

I think that the professor way of not wanting to date himself.LOL!

• soot_seeker_4
    soot_seeker_4 Member Posts: 22
    nope - it's 1984.

nope - it's definately a 1984 unit. just about every part in there is stamped with a date code 83xx - some pretty late in the 1983 year. the building itself was contructed in '84 as well. i think the builder got a deal on some older badged units. there are 2 identical 4 ton units left on the roof like this one. *identical* except that one happens to have the ge weathertron plate on it & the other has a trane plate on it. both plates say tyler, tx. some of these were basically just the units that were manufactured in 83-84 & were just going thru the re-badging process. that goes for the 7.5 ton units up there also. much of the schematic stuff still has the ge drawing numbers on it. in fact, if you go to your local trane office for parts on this unit, the computer will bring up a bunch of sheets dated july 1983 with the titling "ge reddi-parts" on the top & no mention of trane anywhere. trane did purchase ge's hvac division in august of '82, but that was only a corporate level ownership issue. by the time it filtered down to the actual manufacturing level & the new name plates - that was a couple years later (things were slower in '82).

ss
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    The Professor is...

For those of you who care, the professor is 39 and will be hitting the big 4-0 in February.
  • soot_seeker_2
    soot_seeker_2 Member Posts: 228
    not so bad...

"hitting the big 4-0 in February"

so life will then just be getting started for you. enjoy the party!

ss (-:
  • Marty
    Marty Member Posts: 109
    get stung ?

Worked on one real close to that today A/C with gas heat (can't belive the heat exchanger is still ok) every one of those I have gone near has a bee nest in where the condensor fan motor caps are.
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Allergic to Bees

When I was in the field I alwys used to carry a can of bee spray. WHen I opened a unit and found a nest in it, I always gave it a spray (or two or three or four) before I dove in to it.

The rooftop package units were famous for providing a good nesting ground for them buggers.
  • soot_seeker_4
    soot_seeker_4 Member Posts: 22
    yup - there were bees in there

if you look at my first pic - left side of unit by the blue bag you'll see my wasp spray there. sure enough - to the immediate right of the 2 fan caps - in the little vent compartment that holds the outdoor temp/speed sensor for the 2-speed fan - was a bees nest complete with about 8-10 of them - luckily slow moving for the most part - especially since i doused them with about a half a can before i even got started. i hate those surprises.

these units are big & dumb but built like a tank & if they don't rust apart first they'll just keep on going. i just ordered some "rust bullet" to go over that whole unit - inside & out. i gotta get back up there for the dead economizer motor - probably just a fuse.

ss
This discussion has been closed.