Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cost for fan in can

Options
allenh
allenh Member Posts: 117
what does is say about finished basements with boilers in basement? Do they change that formula?

I finally figured out why I used to get lightheaded in finished basements & it wasn't from the cigarettes and cigars.

Also is there any info on Nicole's Bill that is winding its way through the statehouse? This is the bill that might mandate CO detectors in apts and basements with heating systems. Or is there a website where latest updates are written?

Comments

• Claire
    Claire Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Fan in can

Does anyone know what the cost of installing fan in can is and how to know if you'll need one?
  • Claire
    Options
    Fan in can

Does anyone know what the cost of installing fan in can is and how to know if you'll need one?
  • ed wallace
    ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
    Options
    fan in a can

If you have gas heat you should have a fan in a can as to price there is no way of telling every job is differant plus talking about price on this site is not good form as the brits say

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Claire
    Options
    sorry...newbie

won't happen again! But thanks for the info. We do have gas heat now and currently don't have fan in can. Looking to get new units and some people said we need fan in can and others said we don't. Weren't sure who to believe?
  • Andrew Hagen (ALH)
    Options
    Natural Draft

is just that.....natural. You dont need a fan in a can unless you have draft problems, and only if those problems cannot be adressed in other ways should a draft inducer of any sort be used. Warm air rises naturally.

If you need a unit with a forced draft, buy a new forced draft unit such as a Viessmann ECV or Crown Cabo.
    We prefer the sealed combustion Cabo in most instances where forced draft is required.

-Andrew
  • ed wallace
    Options
    fan in a can

if you are in mass and getting a new gas system you are supposed to have on

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    curious Ed

But why would you need a fan in a can for every application of gas if the makeup air is sufficiant to meet the need's of the boiler?
  • Claire
    Options
    fan in can

I am in Mass! Now I know who NOT to go with. Don't want to be blindsided at the end with inspector. Thanks for advice!
  • Bill Nye_2
    Bill Nye_2 Member Posts: 538
    Options
    Field

Michelle , try this link

link: http://www.fieldcontrols.com/cas3-4.html

If you do not bring combustion air into a room or building, the burner "takes it" from any where it can get it. This means increased infiltration from cracks and crevices around windows and doors. This means you are burning conditioned air, air you have already paid to heat or cool.

If you have a clothes dryer, bathroom fan, cook top fan, whole house fan, anything that can make the house go negative [pressure] you will hamper the draft, the thermodynamic force, of the chimney to remove the products of combustion.

So, a fan in a can , or another product the inforcer, will bring fresh air from outdoors into your home when the burner is firing. Fresh , cold, unconditioned air that will help to ensure complete combustion and greatly reduce the risk of CO poisining. So yeah, I think you need one. It couldn't hurt. I think you could more than recover the cost of installation in energy savings and most of all , piece of mind. It's the right thing to do.

• allenh
    Options
    fan in can if sealed combustion boiler..

If there is a gas sealed combustion direct vent boiler AND it is picking up outside air... is there any need for fan in can?

In Mass does anyone know any other laws coming?

• ed wallace
    Options
    fan in a can

if boiler has sealed combustion no fan in a can is needed otherwise a fan in a can is needed in mass no matter how tight or loose the building envolope is

• allenh
    Options
    Ed W.

How long has fan in can been on the books in Mass.? Can you point me to the code? And are existing boilers grandfathered in???
  • Firedragon_4
    Firedragon_4 Member Posts: 1,436
    Options
    Say what?

Where did this come from, a salesman???

Probably, since they love to pick on the definitions of 'confined and unconfined spaces' and neglect all mention of 'combustion air by infiltration'. Another urban legend, just what we need with the CO issue still in the air, amazing.

Just for reference:

Massachusetts

• ed wallace
    Options
    say what

my info came from a landlord in newton who was selling a house thats what the plumbing inspector told him the rule is state wide

• Firedragon_4
    Options
    I'll look into

this next week since I can't reach my Board contact today. First I've heard and I need to follow the codes every day. Wonder if the inspector wasn't lokking for a little work??? LOL!!! We'll see.............
  • Dan C.
    Dan C. Member Posts: 248
    Options
    you don't need a fan in a can

unlees you do not have enough make up air. In MA it says in the code book you need 50 cubic ft' of air per 1000btu of all gas appliances in the room. So if you do not have 50 cubic feet per 1000 btu you need to bring in make up air either from a fan in a can or properly sized grills going outside 12" from the floor and 12" from the cieling( there is a formula on how to size those in the same section.) If there is a dryer and a water heater you have to count that too.

• Ted_9
    Ted_9 Member Posts: 1,718
    Options
    New

There are new charts to go by. I still dont have the newest book. I hope it comes soon.

By any chance, have you noticed the chimney section regarding liners for clay lined outside chimneys?

• ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    A fan in a can or a cat in a hat ?

This IS NOT a blanket code and each home must be looked at individually. It all has to do with conbustion air and what is considered confined space or not. If a boiler is placed in a area where there is plenty of make up air and by the mass code, is not considered a confined space then no intake air ( ie; fan in can type product ) is necessary.

Scott

• Firedragon_4
    Options
    Thanks Scott,

that's what I was just able to CONFIRM yesterday oil gas by the Plumbing Board and oil by the Marshal's Office.

If you have a 75 year old house with enough infiltration air to run a Cat V-12 diesel in the basement, then it's not a confined space, period.

Why does this keep coming up????
This discussion has been closed.