Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

new boiler

Options
cb_2
cb_2 Member Posts: 1
I am looking to install a complete hydronic system in my home which I am renovating. I presently have a forced hot air system and am hate it. I have been doing a research over the last year on boilers and am interested in knowing which system is the best on the market. It seems like the following manufacturers keep on appearing: Burnham, Buderus, Viessmann, Weil-Mclain. Please advise on which you feel is the best all around system out there. P.S. It should be noted that I also have several areas within the home which have cathedral ceilings... thank you for all of your help...

Comments

• George_10
    George_10 Member Posts: 580
    Options
    No matter which system you install

Make sure the contractor cleans and treats the system before it is put into service.

There are two very good reasons for this suggestion.

1) A clean and treated system will operate closer to design efficiency over time, which will save you money on fuel bills.

2) A clean and treated system will have less chance for water related breakdowns caused by scale and corrosion.

You can read about this on our web site. www.rhomarwater.com

Good luck with your radiant heating system.
  • jr_6
    jr_6 Member Posts: 7
    Options

I agree with George. Not only should you get a qualified contractor to design/install your system. You should definitely introduce corrosion inhibitors and other chemicals into your system to guarantee longevity. I can't begin to inform you of the benefits you will gain.

Good Luck!
  • Mellow_2
    Mellow_2 Member Posts: 204
    Options
    the boiler is just one part

I agree that the boiler is important to the system but the heat emiters can be much more important for your comfort... how are you going to heat the house? Radiant floor, radiant panels, hydro air or baseboard are some options. this will tell you what kind of control you need for the boiler and which boiler would be best. I would try to match the system to the boiler. keep in mind when choosing a system radiant can be more comfortible than a covective systems (baseboard and hydroair) and the more you invest in a system the more energy you can save.
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Options
    Oi

Look, many of the installers here have preferences one way or another that may in part be dictated by local conditions. Some boiler brands are more dominant in some areas than others.

The list you started with is a good one. However, I would go about it the other way around and locate a excellent installer and then see what brands he/she is very familiar with. Then whittle down your choices from there. After all, it's in no small part the quality of the installation that will drive the longevity, economy, and comfort your system will provide.

If you choose to have RFH and want to use gas as a fuel source, I'd consider going the extra bit and installing a condensing boiler. On the oil side, a non-condensing boiler that can handle low return temperatures makes a lot of sense with RFH systems.

Whether your emitters can handle the cathedral ceiling will be determined in large part by the heat loss of your home. Well-insulated w/o huge glass walls or other anomalies homes should allow RFH w/o issues.
This discussion has been closed.