Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

REMS press Vs Rigid Viega press

Options
Jim M
Jim M Member Posts: 29
How compatable are these two systems. Are the tongs interchangable between units. I understand that Viega/rigid fittings require different tongs than say Nibco press fittings, however can I use the same tongs for Wirsbo Multicor and Viega Fostapex. Also has anybody used the gas fittings and was there any trouble with inspectors when using copper for gas lines.

Comments

• ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    You

use the same tongs for Viega that you use for Wirsbo ??

Ar'nt those different sizes and types of rings ??

Scott

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Kevin O. Pulver
    Kevin O. Pulver Member Posts: 380
    Options
    I never tried it,

but I looked at the tubing dimensions and they are within thousandths. I can't remember how many. Maybe .030 difference O.D. and less on the inside diameter. I figured it might work, but I never had the guts (or lack of sense?) to give it a try. I know NOONE is going to recommend that this be done, and we could all argue that it's a bad idea, but the burning question is: would it WORK? When I say work I mean long term. I don't know. Anybody else out there gonna admit they tried it? Kevin
  • Kevin O. Pulver
    Kevin O. Pulver Member Posts: 380
    Options
    Oops,

I forget we were talking press fittings. I was talking about the PAP and compression rings. Same basic principles and questions apply though I guess. Kevin
  • Cosmo_3
    Cosmo_3 Member Posts: 845
    Options
    not sure if I understand

Rems makes the press tool, and makes tongs for specific pipe pressing applications. You can use the Wirsbo multi-cor tongs, and the Ridgid/Viega copper press tongs w/ the Rems presstool.

Cosmo Valavanis

Dependable P.H.C. Inc.
  • Jim M
    Jim M Member Posts: 29
    Options

First I don't have a press machine, so before i buy had i some questions.

With all of the different pex and pex al pex manufacturers can i use the same tongs interchangably (sp). for instance are kitec, fostapex and multicor the same ASTM, if so one set of tongs should be capable of doing all three, or am i missing something.

Does REMS make the tool for Rigid, or are they two different tools. If they are two different tools are the tongs attached to the tools in the same manner, for instance; if i have Rigid press tool with tongs for the Rigid /Viega propress system can i then put those tongs on a REMS machine.

I'm not trying to confuse, i just want to spend the least amount of money and get the best utility for my needs.

Thanks Jim
This discussion has been closed.