Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Buderus Help

Dan_15
Dan_15 Member Posts: 388
Roosterboy my understanding based on talking to Buderus, Ted G. and others here is that the room sensor will provide the most efficient system possible for Buderus products. Joe at Buderus told me that the room sensor is the highest efficiency you can achieve. Everybody's system is different but that is the line I have consistently heard. It works as a fine-tuning of outdoor reset--basically it adjusts the reset curve constantly based on the environment of the room. Call a pro or call Buderus tech support and ask them. Mine works really well. Will it save you a ton of oil in a home with a tight envelope? Probably not a ton but the marginal return is worth it. The room sensor is not expensive and you seem handy you can probably install it yourself.

Comments

• RoosterBoy
    RoosterBoy Member Posts: 459

i have baseboard heating 1 zone home-run piping
    would the bfu room sensor help me save oil with my 2107
    i only set back 2 degrees at night my house is real well insulated

thanks
  • RoosterBoy

thanks homeowner yes i installed the 2107 myself and piped the whole boiler with a home run to all my rooms in the house with baseboards. in a few weeks i will add 2 new buderus panel rads. one in the bath and the other in the kitchen. buderus is such a nice setup i love it.

thanks
  • RoosterBoy

hi homeowner this is what i got from Joe at buderus if i am not going to run the baseboards on constant circulation
    then don't use the room sensor because my t-stat will be fighting with the room sensor.
  • Dan_15

Im not a pro so I have no clue what Im talking about, but I never heard of using a room sensor together with a thermostat. It doesnt seem like that would work. If you dont want constant circ then keep your old thermostat--that is what turns the circulators on and off. The room sensor can only be used in a constant circ environment. I have fin/tube convectors which are kind of like big baseboards and the constant circ works great for me. Like I said earlier I have a lot of water mass to heat and constant circ keeps a nice flow of moderate temp to "keep up" with the heat demand, rather than having to fire up the hot water every time there is a call for heat. Im not sure how it well constant circ would respond in a mixed system where you have baseboards and panel rads but Im sure Joe or someone else here can help you.
  • RoosterBoy

to me i thought that a room sensor would be better at adjusting the proper curve for the load. i have a well insulated house and the 2107 dose not know what the temp is inside my house when i use my wood stove the temp could go to 80deg even though my t-stat is set at 70.

so the boiler on a cold day will still try and keep my heating curve when i don't need it.

with the room sensor i figure the boiler wont try and keep up with the out door curve because the indoor sensor said my load is heated above the set curve so the boiler would run less and the sensor would be more accurate at adjusting the right heating curve for my house

what do you think
  • Dan_15

Roosterboy, Im thinking three things:

1. Im not a pro so take everything I say with that in mind.
    2. I would think that when your wood stove heats the room to 80, your thermostat will tell your boiler to shut off at 70 so the issue of reset is not relevant. Your boiler is not going to keep the reset curve when there is no call for heat.
    3. Yes, I would think the room sensor would be useful for that situation. Its supposed to take into account things like solar gain which is probably similar to the heat spiking caused by your wood stove. The biggest difference on the room sensor is the constant circ. Again, when the room sensor feels the temp rising above your setpoint it will react by holding off firing the burner until necessary, and when it does fire the burner it will modulate the temp taking into account how much heat is needed to "keep up" with the heat loss in the room and taking into account the outside temp.
  • RoosterBoy

thanks homeowner
    yes the t-stat will keep the pumps off but the outdoor sensor will still try and keep the boiler at a set temp when it's not needed like when i burn wood

with the indoor sensor id think it would not fire the boiler based on just out-door temp because the indoor senor See's my house at 80deg so there's no need to keep the boiler at 170 on a 0 deg day let it drop to 140 or freeze protection because indoor heating is not needed

do i make sense wont the bfu help in this way.
    becase there is times where my boiler will run for nothing

becase my house is well insulated a call for heat is mabybe once every hour or more

thanks

• Dan_15

Yes, I dont know why your boiler would run without a call for heat. Are you sure the thermostat is wired into the 2107 correctly? There is no reason to "maintain" a reset curve internally in the boiler when your thermostat does not call for the heat. The way reset works, the 2107 will modulate your boiler temp based on outdoor temp, but only when there is a call for heat. The only time your boiler should run after the thermostat reaches its setpoint, is to satisfy a call fo DHW. I could be completely wrong, but it sounds like there is something wrong with that logic.
  • RoosterBoy

t-stats do not wire to the 2107 and dose not respond to them the 2107 only watches boiler water temp and makes sure it keeps the temps in the boiler up high enough to match the outdoor heating curve i wired my t-stat to a taco zone controller

so the 2107 watches the out door temp and adjust the water temperature to mach your heating curve and day and night set points

thanks

• Dan_15

Yes, thats how I expected it should be wired. Thats good, but I guess I just dont understand your question. The thermostat will not cause the taco relay to activate the circulators or fire the boiler after the 70* setpoint has been reached. I dont understand why you think the burner would fire when your room is 80* due to the wood stove?
  • RoosterBoy

because the water in the boiler will still drop in temperature Even if you don't use the pumps yes the boiler is insulated so in 2 hours of not using the boiler the temperature will drop lets say 10 deg and if it's real cold that ten deg drop will be enough to fire the boiler to keep the heating curve in the computer happy :-)

i think with the indoor sensor if it now knows it's 80 deg in the house and my set point is 70 the boiler temp can drop even more without it trying to keep up the temperature based on what it is out side

save oil right?

• Dan_15

Yeah, I dont know, maybe Im not familiar with that setup because I dont have a circ relay. My circulator is always running 24 hours and the boiler only fires to maintain the room temp setpoint (day or night mode) based on outdoor temp. I would think that in your case the room sensor would feel that your room temp is 80* way above setpoint and would not fire the boiler at all until the room temp dropped again. The circulator would keep churning, and the water temp would drop very low. As the room temp drops after you turn off your wood stove, the room sensor will slowly bring the water temp back up. Eventually it will need to fire the burner to maintain the correct water temp.
  • RoosterBoy

that's why i think the room sensor would be a good idea in my case. also how often dose your boiler turn on every 20 min or what?

• Dan_15

My house is not insulated; I have a lot of heat loss. During 30* cold weather it fires for about 3 minutes every 20-25 minutes. During warmer weather, it fires less frequently, but still for about 3 minutes.
This discussion has been closed.