Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

home heating

Options
energy is conserved always and absolutely. 2nd law, there ain't no such thing as a free lunch or perpetual motion. Entropy> increase. bob

Comments

• tom mcintyre
    tom mcintyre Member Posts: 5
    Options
    heat source possibility

i've been asking about this for years without much luck, maybe someone there could provide an answer. compressed air in diesel engines creates a tremendous amount of heat in their cylinders 18:1 = 1200 degrees F to ignite fuel, etc.
    question 1 - how long can this compressed air retain its heat while being compressed? air conditioning works on just the opposite if not mistaken, after being compressed the expanding gases from being compressed turns cold. the
    point of all this, question 2 - if compressed air could be compressed once and retain its heat or compressed over and over, again and again, as a compressor works can heat be taken from the result of this air compression process and
    hopefully heat source ?
    if you get a chance would appreciate a reply tom mcintyre
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    Options
    If I Understand Your Question Correctly...

If I understand your question correctly the answer is yes.

In the compressor, vapor refrigerant is compressed to increase the temperature and pressure of the gas. The purpose of compressing the refrigerant is to bring the gas to a temperature that is higher than the temperature of the condensing medium, which allows the refrigerant to reject the heat that was absorbed in to the system in the evaporator.

Since the temperature of the refrigerant at the outlet of the compressor can be as high as 220 degrees, it would be, and has been for a long time, a shame to waste this valuable source of heat. Larger modern systems use this discharge gas for a number of purposes, one of which is to heat cold water being fed into a water heater. This heat transfer lowers the amount of energy used to heat the water as it is entering the water heater at a higher temperature.

This type of heat exchanger is referred to as a desuperheating coil, since the refrigerant leaving the compressor is a high temperature, high pressure superheated vapor. When this superheated gas gives up sensible heat, it is referred to as desuperheating. A certain amount of desuperheating is desireable since it helps to increase the operating efficiency of the system.

However, it should be noted that too much superheat can make the system too efficient and actually have a negative effect on the system, so, when deciding to add a desuperheating coil, the size and desired function of the coil must be carefully evaluated BEFORE incorporating it into the system, as major system component failure can result.

Thanks for the excellent question.
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    Eugene

You are stellar and also a scholar.....I probably spelled that wrong, but what the hell. Interesting...Mike T
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Options
    Thanks, buddy

I do my best.

• tom mcintyre
    tom mcintyre Member Posts: 5
    Options
    compression of simple air

i guess i wasn't as clear as i figured it was, by compressing air to a ratio of apprx 18:1 will heat up to apprx 1200 deg F because of this compression, 22:1 will increase the airs temperature to apprx 1800 deg F because of this compression process. it's used to ignite diesel fuel in diesel engines when it's sprayed into the cylinders. my point and question is how long does this heat exist from this compression process, as long as it's compressed, an hour, infinity ? is further compression needed ? recompression ? can this reaction of air to the compression be used as a source of perpetual heat ? or any kind of heat ? tom mcintyre

;
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Options
    This might help

Tom,

I am definitely not the expert when it comes to using the heat generated by compressed air for applications similar to those used in conjuction with hot disharge gas from air conditioning and refrigeration systems.

However, I did find this article that might prove useful to you.

http://www.compressedairchallenge.org/content/library/factsheets/factsh10.pdf
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Options
    I've made

I've made a couple of inquiries but have not heard anything back as of yet.

I'll be sure to post if and when I hear of anything pertinent.
This discussion has been closed.