Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

how long would a goodman heating and airconditioner usually last

Response on the wall regarding replacing "Big Name" Heat exchangers. Being expensive doesn't mean they're any "cheaper" than anybody.

Comments

• paul zeszotarski
    paul zeszotarski Member Posts: 33
    goodman heating and airconditioners

In a new house that my parents bought, they had a new Goodman Heating and air conditioner installed during the construction phase. What is the average life one of these units. The unit is now three years old and running in good condition. They even change the filters on a regular bases.
  • will smith_4
    will smith_4 Member Posts: 259
    Paul-

Goodman is fine unit, and with regular filter changes and condenser cleanings, it will last as long as any out there. Not that you can't expect normal problems like ignitors,etc., but you'll have those with everybody's.
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Saturday night funny???

A Goodman will last as long as it makes a Goodwoman happy.... Sorry, couldn't let that one go. Chris
  • will smith_4
    Chris-

Always happy to help aspiring comics!
  • Jamie_6
    Jamie_6 Member Posts: 710

Wow Will,

You have some confidence in Goodman! They make us the most amount of money on our service end. I wouldn't put one in my own house.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Darin_5
    Darin_5 Member Posts: 7
    goodman

My whole thinking is that goodman will sell to any butt crack guy who can use a roll of duct tape and tin to put in a furnace. If goodman would be a little more stringent on who they seel to than the name would not be so tainted. With that said, the install is key. If the furnace matches the duct and is sized correctly, you should be fine. The electrical components are usually brand name and even the heat excahnger is fairly cheap if it fails. Just hope it doesn't fail when it is real cold outside. The AC also should hold up, porovided it was installed correctly
  • Ken D.
    Ken D. Member Posts: 836
    Goodman

They, as most off brands, seem to have more sevice calls than the big boys.They should however, last a minumum of 20 years for gas heat and 10 years for AC or heat pumps. Most of those we service do not have catastrophic problems that would mean a new system. The compressors have lasted a minumum of 10 years and the heat exchangers are lasting at least 20. If I had a bad compressor at 10 years or more, I would replace the outdoor unit and indoor coil. I also would not replace the heat exchanger after 12 to 15 years. Hope this helps.
  • scott inM.E.
    scott inM.E. Member Posts: 68
    Built on the cheap

Most if not all of the re-building of new orleans and the gulf coast will use Goodman, hopefully they won't be that available. No doubt a customer nightmare and a nice moneymaker for us. Reminds me of the Tianco Heatmakers!
  • jim lockard
    jim lockard Member Posts: 1,059
    Its all in the install

If the installer can not take his time and do a nice clean job, proper duct size, proper filter rack, clean copper, 500 mic. evacuation, then I will be standing in the back yard telling the H.O. that he needs a new unit. Have a few contractors I should send thank you cards too, as their installs have got me quite a bit of work. J.Lockard
  • will smith_4
    I've seen-

A Goodman furnace torn down side by side with an American Standard unit-not much difference. Admittedly, Goodman is a cheaper unit than some of the big names, but I have just as many problems with them. With proper sizing, installation, and maintenance, there's no reason a Goodman won't last as long as any. As far as Goodman selling to just about anybody, tell me Rheem, Ruud, and American Standard are any different. There is very little regulation regarding who can buy water heaters and furnaces, and manufacturers take advantage of this fact when marketing in the big box stores. I don't like the fact that our equipment can be purchased in one of the stores any more than anybody, but until legislation passes to stop it, all we can do is watch the wheels of capitalism roll on. (or would that be roll over us?)
  • rick_33
    rick_33 Member Posts: 20

good for the price. Prefer the other brands but,see these in the new homes comparable to oyher builders model
  • Pat_11
    Pat_11 Member Posts: 49
    Goodman

Installed mine, a 3 ton 10 SEER split AC system over 14 years ago. Change the AH filter once a year, cleaned the evaporator coil last year, and have rinsed the condenser coil every June after the spring pollen. Price was right and it does the job.
  • Tim_24
    Tim_24 Member Posts: 53
    They don't

spend millions advertising. There is no "You can't stop a Goodman" or "Dave Goodman" the furnace guy, campaigns. They don't develop new products, they copy those that are successfull. They don't do bells, whistles and frills. They let the "big" guys do that (although Goodman is one of the largest, if not THE largest, manufacture of residential HVAC equiment in the coutry/world ) all that.

Because Goodman products are less expensive they are unfortunatly the preference of hacks, moonlighters and shadetree technitions. Most of the service parts I sell are due to abuse of the unit before and/or during the installation. I see as many York/Coleman/Luxaire real failures as I do Goodman. Bottom line is the product is as good as any out there.
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    I'm with Jamie

I wouldn't put one in my house. I experimented with economy brand units some years ago and found I had more warranty calls than I could stand. You get what you pay for. Only the best dog food for my dog. (the way your momma made that nasty poodle chew. FZ). WW

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Will Smith_6
    Will Smith_6 Member Posts: 5
    Kinda funny-

It really depends on where you live folks. East of the Mississippi, Carrier and Bryant are the Big Dogs. Go West of the Mississippi, It's Day-Night Payne. Made in the same factory. Same parts. Different paint, name plates. Here in Chicago, Day Night Payne is "economy" compared to Carrier, but you will pay more for the Carrier than the Day Night. My salesmen told me there were "quality" differences between 'em;that was why I paid such a premium for the Carriers. Then I got a chance to tour the factory. Got tired of having my leg peed on while being told it was raining. I kid you not. Seer fo Seer, size to size, IT IS THE SAME. Name brand salespeople clouded my vision too 15 years ago. Goodman is the largest family owned air-conditioning/heating manufacturer in the world. Based in Texas. By the way-seen how many jobs Carrier is doing away with in the States lately? I've been doing this for a while-I've learned that paying more for something doesn't always equate to a better product-who hasn't? I have strong preferences for the commercial equipment I would put in-(commercially, I think Trane is the best, all based on what I've seen, as well as by how well I've been treated by my Trane support locally. You may feel otherwise for just the same reasons. Here in Chicago, commercially,I feel Carrier treats techs like an afterthought. I feel the same about them. At the end of the day, it all depends on your experience with the product, and with the support you've gotten when you've had problems. Around me, Goodman stands up as a good product, cause we get good support when needed. Heck folks, anybody can put in anything-it's what happens when it breaks that matters!)
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    I've taken apart a number of AC systems...

... package, split, low SEER, high SEER, etc. to build a comprehensive cost model for the DoE for the coming standards in 2006. From my limited vantage-point, systems did not vary a great deal from manufacturer to manufacturer, and there is a lot of private-labeling/branding going on. Yes, the Trane folk still cling to their spine-fin HX's, some manufacturers favor one kind of compressor over another, etc. yet the fundamental technology remains the same.

Most of the manufacturer-related failures I have observed on AC-units over at HVAC-Talk almost invariably had to do with leaks and contactors. Some manufacturers allegedly have a much harder time fixing their brazing lines than others and going cheap with materials also invites bad things to happen.

Is the manufacturer always to blame? I don't think so, as their suppliers can cause them all sorts of heartache unintentionally. Take the issues that some of you have had with copper pipe that had not been annealed properly and started to flake and crack when cut? Imagine a batch of that stuff going into a fully-automated production process... it will be some time before the operator figures out that the copper is no good... then what?

A good installer will note leaks in the field when they evacuate the system and then proceed to repair them. But that takes time, energy, and pride in one's work. The contactor/capacitor issue is one that usually crops up over time. The likes of Payson probably go through a box-full every month.
This discussion has been closed.