Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ok HB, here are the pics....Cosmo

Cosmo_3
Cosmo_3 Member Posts: 845
They do, but most of the noise comes from the barometric damper. It also makes a cleaner install when the burners have covers that are color matched to the boiler jacket. Buderus makes a muffler that supposedly works well, but I think it is a little cost prohibitive right now. I think it was more than 3-400 bucks for a 7".

Cosmo Valavanis

Dependable P.H.C. Inc.

Comments

• Cosmo_3
    V-100 install

Like I said in a previous post I am a recovering circaholic. I am currently getting treatment however, and I am looking forward to a limited pump mechanical room one day. Here I have 5 fancoils in faraway places, so I decided to go circ on each coil instead of buying one mega circ. I believe though in this situation it was the way to go to gain some redundancy, and well I just plain had to get the job done fast and did not have a lot of time to wait on special order circs... this had to be a quick turnaround, 1.5 weeks to pipe mechanical room and start boiler from day the deposit was paid to running system so the girly men spackle crew stays warm. Still not completed, as I have to connect the towel bar warmer, and water supply piping. The two boilers are controlled by a Tekmar 262 in the electrical enclosure box on the right. I actually had it running on one boiler until the second boiler showed up a little later.

Don't get me started about what I think about starting equipment during construction, but at least I am only worried about the boilers, I decided not to tackle the duct work on this job as I know this builder's rep on starting air handlers while the drywall is still getting put on. Not for me. We are also completing the plumbing, and gas lines on this job so I have enough eggs in this 16,000 sq ft basket.

I plan on billing T&M to clean the burners after construction is complete per my contract as a condition to me honoring the warranty. That could take a few more hours than the builder thinks it will.........

A big thank you on this one from AVCO supply and Steve Weiland for the prompt service. Thanks man

Cosmo Valavanis

Dependable P.H.C. Inc.
  • Darin Cook_3
    Darin Cook_3 Member Posts: 389
    Cosmo

Very neat and tidy. A very professional looking piece of work. Nice Job!!

Darin
  • Joe@buderus_2
    Joe@buderus_2 Member Posts: 302

Job shows lot of attention to detail. Nice work!
  • Cosmo_3

Thanks for the kind comments, BTW I also have a lot of Buderus out there.

I have 2 questions for ya Joe..... I just ripped out an 80's Valliant, and noticed a stamping on the end section that said "Certified by Buderus". Was this a Buderus casting?

Also, My office is situated adjacent to the mechanical room w/ a 215-3 Riello in my home, and I notice that quite often in the winter the burner starts and runs for a second, then stops. It has a simple 2109 control, and an argo panel connecting 3 pumps to fancoils, and radiant. The 2109 controls the DHW. I will be going to use the 2107 one day when I install the panel rad/ radiant system in the house (ONE DAY). Any opinion? I have never caught it while I was in there to see if I had a DHW call right afetr satisfying a heat call, or vice versa.

I will never regret having my office next to the mech room, I love the music when the Riello purrs away my oil money......

Cosmo Valavanis

Dependable P.H.C. Inc.
  • Ted_9
    Ted_9 Member Posts: 1,718
    boilers

Nice work cosmo.

Were the boilers raised to that height just for servicing?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Cosmo_3
    Well....

I just think they look a lot better this way.... But yes, easier to service, and the burners pull in a little bit cleaner air than 4" off the floor. I usually like to go up 2 cinder block layers layed w/ morter by the onsite brick layer but this was a rush job. Also keeps the burner out of water in mild flooded basements.

Cosmo Valavanis

Dependable P.H.C. Inc.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Now that's

That's what a boiler room is meant to look like. Excellent job!!
  • S Ebels
    S Ebels Member Posts: 2,322
    Good looking work Cosmo

Very nice indeed! How did you like the burners on those 100's and what did they dial in for eff%?
  • Cosmo_3
    Didn't like the burners

Thanks!

The V 100-63's have the venerable Beckett AFG instead of the new NX, so there you go. That is the only reservation I have, I hate installing anything but Riello. But they do work fine, 87.5 eff, I forget the CO2, etc.

Cosmo Valavanis

Dependable P.H.C. Inc.
  • Rich P.
    Rich P. Member Posts: 60
    nice job

> That's what a boiler room is meant to look like.

> Excellent job!!

Very nice straight work!
    Circaholics live on Yahoo..
    Why can't you get those with the Riello's we love?
    Rich P.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    I like it Cosmo*~/:)

it is clean. did you find the jackets to be bit "wiggly" ?

the other question is did both of the becketts act the same?

when you first got it up and rolling did you find the control box a bit of a head stand to get in on?

the two of them are looking good :) that was a bunch of work to bang in, may you be able to see some time with your family over the Christmas New Year remeberance,.. take the pics back out and think yup lookin good :)
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Excellent Job...

... another feast for the eyes. The two-stage hot water production should make this system quite economical to run. Did you use a mixing valve or similar device to meter the heat going down to the air handlers?

Again, a job to be proud of.
  • Cosmo_3
    thanks Rich

I wish I knew why, but they are not offered w/ Riello. The V 100 series boiler is meant to be price competitive w/ Buderus, etc. But I was under the assumption that I could go w/ Riello as an option when I spec the job to Viessmann. All the V 100 series uses the new NX burner from Beckett, except for the V 100-63 which is a 6 section and per Viessmann testing too much gph for the NX. Hopefully one day they will offer these w/ Riello, it is worth the extra hundred or so bucks in my opinion.

Cosmo Valavanis

Dependable P.H.C. Inc.
  • Cosmo_3
    No $

This was a "cheap" job, If you notice the job is P/S. The boilers also are protected using a return temp sensor to keep boiler return above 130. No mixing exept for a cheapo manual thermostatic mixing valve for the floor warming circuit. The 262 is setup to run on the Characteristic heating curve set for fancoils, using outdoor reset. As you know the 262 runs both boilers on full roar for DHW call, and holds the other heat demands until DHW is satisfied, up to 20 minutes. I piped a 2" DHW secondary then reduced down to 1 1/4" for the indirect. This house has a waterfall of hot water demand, and try as I might the homeowner would not spring for adding more indirect to the system. But after he moves in and decides he needs more hot water I plan to cut out the 1 1/4, and continue the 2" mains to heat the bank of indirects. This job has been a little dissapointing for me because I went in w/ the expectation of doing a full on radiant system.... not the fan coil bang on/off system you see here but I can't install what the HO won't pay for.......

Cosmo Valavanis

Dependable P.H.C. Inc.
  • Jamie_6
    Jamie_6 Member Posts: 710

Hey Cosmo,

Great looking job! You are truly a craftsman in my book. I have to assume that you also are in the Philadelphia area if you deal with Wheels. I only wish I had more competition like you in our area to help us raise the bar locally.

Jamie

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    On the other hand,

What you did install looks great from the perspective of what a well-installed heating system ought to look like. How many systems have we seen in t he "before" stage where the PEX piping, etc. came in at all sorts of crazy angles because the installer simply didn't care?

I don't see the point in building a trophy home without a trophy heating system either. A 4-way valve or similar mixing device could have made the system even more comfortable, but if the customer doesn't see the value the way you and I do... they probably invested it in the kitchen counter instead.

You did great with what you were given. The control strategy you're using is probably the best one can hope for under the circumstances. Keep up the good work and I look forward to your next job on the Wall.
  • heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    All I can say is.............

it's great having a guy like you in my neighborhood. Excellent (as always) work, Bro. Tuesday night Guinness?

hb
    heatboy

The Radiant Whisperer

"The laws of physics will outweigh the laws of ecomomics every time."
  • Beautiful work Cosmo

It's always amazing to see what can be accomplished with some room and some pride . Since construction was going on , did you think about fresh air kits for the burners ?
  • Bob_67
    Bob_67 Member Posts: 4
    pride

its a pleasure to see others taking pride and putting thought into there installs nice job Cosmo
  • kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    do the covers....

help that much with burner noise? VERY nice work....kpc

• Cosmo_3
    thanks hb

Coming from a perfectionist like yourself that meant a lot. Tues night 7 pm it is buddy

Cosmo Valavanis

Dependable P.H.C. Inc.
  • Cosmo_3
    sorry I didn't see your post earlier

I have a PAI3 from Tjernlund pumping in fresh air whenever one of the burners call. They are very easy to install, and what you see here has become my "signature" cheepo system configuration. I don't pipe fresh air direct to the burner unless it is a direct vent because I like the combustion air to have a chance to warm up. That's how Viessmann likes it and makes sense to me unless I will expect to have problems with flammable vapors near the boiler. I am including a large warning sign on these installs warning the HO's about not storing flammable materials in the mech room. It is in plain view (took the pic before I detailed the mechanicals and added signage), and it helps to cover my gluteous maximus somewhat I guess...

Cosmo Valavanis

Dependable P.H.C. Inc.
  • Tom R.
    Tom R. Member Posts: 139
    Great work...

1 1/2 weeks! I know some who take that long to lay the job out.
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,034
    work of art

I don't know the ins and outs of all those controls but if I was the homeowner, I'd be bringing my house guests down there to see this work of art!

Nice job Cosmo
This discussion has been closed.