Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

cost-savings of adding a timer to large 2 pipe boiler?

Options
We at a condo have a large Peerless 2-pipe steam, gas fed, boiler that services about 60 radiators. Does adding a timer so that the system only runs when people are home save us any money?

We currently already have a temperature sensor (outdoor only) and a return temp sensor installed to control the system and do not know if a timer will save heating costs or only make the heat more slowly responing.

Your help is appreciated (have photos of all these if prefer but document is 3MB)

Comments

• will smith_4
    will smith_4 Member Posts: 259
    Options
    Ed-

I control my multi unit buildings with a remote sensing thermostat, outdoor sensor, and pressuretrols. Most jusidictions stipulate that you have to maintain predetermined temps during the day and at night for rental properties. I set my stat up for these parameters, and in conjunction with the outdoor sensor and pressuretrols-along with trap/vent maintenance, I don't have any problems. The return sensor is something I've seen a lot, but I have always done away with them, as remote sensing stats are relatively cheap nowadays, and with them, I don't have people opening their windows from overheating.
  • carol_3
    carol_3 Member Posts: 397
    Options

A problem with heating only when people are home is that when they come home the place is cold. And what about things freezing if it gets extreme? If you have thermostats, how about set-back stats? They've gotten a lot simpler to use.
This discussion has been closed.