Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Upcoming Seminar

Options
Dear Professor Silberstein,
I'm fairly new to the air conditioning trade and I had heard through the grapevine that you were going to have a seminar on Pressure - Enthalpy. The tech that I worked with all summer said I really should consider going to your seminar because I really need to know this stuff if I want to do well in the trade. I basically have only two questions; 1.What is it? and 2.Why do I need it? Oh, and where and when is it if I decide to go?

Comments

• Hvactech58
    Hvactech58 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Pressure - Enthalpy

Hey Professor, I just read the letter from the new kid on pressure - enthalpy. Sounds like he's going to be just fine in a few years. But listen, I'm an old dog in this trade and I 've been hearing a lot of talk from manufacturers and such about pressure-enthalpy. I never really got into it a whole heck of a lot. How can this help an old dog with 20+ years in the trade. I'm always trying to continue to learn so tell me why I neede it.
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    Options
    Welcome Newbie

Since you are new to the industry, let me start out by saying that all refrigeration and air conditioning systems are bound by the laws of physics. This may seem a little intimidating at first but, rest assured, that once we understand the guidelines that all systems must operate within, it is a fairly easy task to predict what will happen to them in the future. Having said that, let me further state EVERY air conditioning or refrigeration system you will encounter in the field will be different in some respect to every other system you have ever worked on. The one thing they will definitely have in common is the fact that they all abide by the same rules and follow the same laws of physics.

When starting up, repairing or performing routine maintenance on air conditioning or refrigeration systems, it is always nice to make certain that the system is operating as close to design conditions as possible. Proper refrigerant charge, proper airflow through the coils and other conditions should be as accurate as possible to help ensure that the system operates as the manufacturer intended.

Pressure enthalpy diagrams allow an individual to plot the entire system on a chart that provides a visual representation of exactly what that particular system is doing at that point in time. This "snapshot" allows the servicign techncian to evaluate the system as a whole.

Most often used as a design or engineering tool, I use the pressure enthalpy charts in all of my classes to evaluate and teach air conditioning and refrigeration theory. THese charts are great troubleshooting tools as they provide, as mentioned before, a snapshot of the refrigeration system.

When I was a younger lad, I used to plot customers systems on these charts whenever one of our techs was on the job. This was I had a visual history of the system as was able to predict system malfunctions even before the customer was aware of a problem.

With the chart, you can calculate cool stuff such as NET REFRIGERATION EFFECT, TOTAL HEAT OF REJECTION, HEAT OF COMPRESSION, HEAT OF WORK, THEORETICAL HORSEPOWER PER TON, MASS FLOW RATE PER TON, MASS FLOW RATE OF THE SYSTEM, COEFFICIENT OF PERFORMANCE, COMPRESSION RATIO, CAPACITY OF THE EVAPORATOR, CAPACITY OF THE CONDENSER, CAPACITY OF THE COMPRESSOR, and SYSTEM EER.

All of my students have grown to know and love the pressure enthalpy chart! Just ask 'em!

So, if you are just learning the trade, learning pressure-enthalpy will give you a more well-rounded understanding of the system and a stronger base on which you will build a stronger understanding of air conditioning and refrigeration systems as a whole.

As far as the seminar goes, here are some of the particulars.

Date: February 23, 2006

Two sessions to choose from: morning or afternoon

Attendees get a full four hours of lecture/seminar/workshop time as well as a lot of food

Attendees get a copy of my new book "PResusre Enthalpy WIthout Tears" as well as the tools needed to plot air conditioning systems on the pressure enthalpy diagram.

If you look on THE WALL, there is a thraed entitled "FASCINATING SEMINAR BY PROFESSOR SILBERSTEIN" that has the complete brochure in a PDF file.

You can also drop me an e-mail with your address and I will mail you out a brochure.

Your investment for this learning-filled session is $195.00 per person.

Hope to see you in February.
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Options
    I Love Teaching Pressure Enthalpy to Experienced Technicians

I absolutely LOVE teaching pressure enthalpy to expeienced technicians!

Many of us have been performing system repairs for years and, quite often, get into the habit of fixing what's wrong with the system without really understanding how this malfunction is affecting the entire system.

For example, we all know that a dirty air filter causes the evaporator to frreze up, right? Of course. Well, during the course of teaching pressure enthalpy, I discuss with my students exactly what is taking place within the system that causes the system capacity to decrease. The process follows a logical progression that allows the technician to follow through any system malfunction, ultimately determining the underlying cause for failure.

I personally think that those of you with a great deal of experience will, on many occasions during the seminar, notice the light bulg gong on over your head on multiple occasions. It's really neat to see, especially when teaching those with lots of expeience.

The really cool thing about pressure enthalpy is that you can go up to a 10-ton system and actually determine if the system is operating at 10-tons. (Of course you can do other neat stuff with it as well).

I know that many of us have gotten along just fine without using pressure enthalpy in the past and I can completely respect those who do not wish to learn it. After all, who likes change? But, if you are interested in taking a fresh look at air conditioning and refrigeration in a way that will help you as a technician (and your boss's bottom line), I would love for you to join me and your colleagues on February 23rd for a day of air conditioning eye-opening!

Drop me an e-mail for a brochure or check out the post on THE WALL entitled "FACINATING SEMINAR BY PROFESSOR SILBERSTEIN".

Hope to see you in February. Breakfast and lunch are on me.
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Options
    Any more Questions?

• Eugene Silberstein 3
    Options
    Happy New Year All!

Happy New Year All....

Have a happy and a healthy and I look forward to seeing you guys at my seminar in February!

Good times to be had by all!
This discussion has been closed.