Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

On Watch QuickRead 72

Options
they arrived yesterday and we'll be using them real soon!

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=367&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Tom Hopkins
    Tom Hopkins Member Posts: 554
    Options
    On Watch QuickRead 72

We tried two On Watch QuickRead 72s on a 7184 primary control(series 4). One QuickRead simply showed a blank screen, and the other showed 88.88. A QuickRead 711 also showed a blank screen.

Anybody else have experience with the QuickRead? The control is working in all other respects.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Leo
    Leo Member Posts: 770
    Options
    Quick Look, Quick Read

The blue one Quick Read works on the earlier controls. The quick look, green one works on the newer controls.

I may have it backwards but there is a difference in the two, I have each.

Leo
  • Gordo

If it is the 72 series it is not compatible with the Version 1-4 controls. Here is some verbage from their online manual. "The OnWatch QuickLook 72 is not compatible with earlier models (Series 1-4) of the Honeywell R7184 oil burner controller. The easiest way to check compatibility is to note where the data port is located. If the data port is on the upper right corner of the R7184, then the QuickLook 72 is compatible. If the data port is located on the bottom left of the R7184, then the QuickLook 72 is NOT compatible."

If this is a compatible control, did you allow it to cycle through its various checkpoints a few times? Mine takes about three rounds around it start registering something intelligent. That woould amount to about 10 to 15 seconds of time before it begins to register.

Glenn Stanton

Manager of Technical Development

Burnham Hydronics

U.S. Boiler Co., Inc.
  • Alan R. Mercurio_3
    Alan R. Mercurio_3 Member Posts: 1,620
    Options

Gordo, if these are in fact not working on the correct controls they are meant for and if they came from Oil Tech Talk? Please get in touch with me. Anything I sell comes with a 100% money back guarantee.

If they are from me, I want to make this right for you :)

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• tgm
    tgm Member Posts: 25
    Options
    quickread 711

i guess that explains why lately i have only been getting a blank screen on my quickread. alan does this mean i need the newer green one? they are on the counters at a few supply houses here in southern maine so please let me know if i need a new one as its been a great tool

ty
  • Alan R. Mercurio_3
    Options

Ty, You do need the green one (QuickLook 72) for the series 5 & 6 Honeywell Control.

I don’t mean to take sales away from any of the wholesalers out your way but you may want to check out the Christmas special I have going on at my web site right now.

Oil Tech Talk Christmas Special

• Steamhead (in transit)
    Options
    Just ordered two

our burner kits are getting rather colorful now, with blue, red and now green QuickRead units.....

• Leo
    Leo Member Posts: 770
    Options
    It's my understanding

It's my understanding the red one is a licensed Honeywell version of either the blue or green one, can't remember which.

Leo
  • Alan R. Mercurio_3
    Options

Red = Blue and Green = New, therefore the Green (quicklook 72) will only read data from a series 5 or 6 Honeywell control

• Gordo2
    Gordo2 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks for the feed-back, Y'all

Does the "green" (later) version read the older(earlier) R7184 controls?

I thought the red Honeywell version we had WAS the later version of readers, and would read all versions (early and late) of the R7184. Oh well.

But, when we finally get the right version of reader in the right version of control, they work, right? Please say yes.

It's such a neat idea and I am eager to see it work, but it seems to be a bit of a SNAFU with these incompatible versions.

• Alan R. Mercurio_3
    Options

Gordo,

The red and the blue are the same the blue is known as the QuickRead 711 a product of OnWatch Electronic and the red which is the same as the blue is Honeywell’s DiagnoStick made by OnWatch Electronics.

Both of these work with the Series (1) through (4) Honeywell primary controls

The Green one is called the QuickLook 72 and that works with the series (5) Honeywell Enviracom primary control.

My understanding is that when the moved the pins for the data port from the bottom left on the series 1-4 to the top right on the series 5 the pins were configured differently with regard to the information that could/can be extracted from them.

Ok, this was a little long winded but I hope it helps and by the way thank you for your recent order I appreciate the business and support :)

• Alan R. Mercurio_3
    Options

You're very welcome and thank you guys for your business and support. :)

This discussion has been closed.