Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Worthwhile options for central air?

What type of air handling unit is presently in your house and is the A/C system being installed on it? Or are you getting a new furnace or air handler as part of the quote?

PS When installed and set up right, the Infinity system rocks!

Comments

• Russell_3
    Russell_3 Member Posts: 1
    Are these worthwhile options for central air?

I've gotten a variety of proposals for a central air system in my 40-year-old colonial in Southern Connecticut. Aside from the fact that the cost (for a Carrier system) seems quite high, I'm wondering about several options I have been offered and would appreciate thoughts on same:
    1. 16-SEER upgrade. An additional $1,460 offset by a rebate of $550
    2. Infinity Controller. The dealer claims that it removes more moisture and costs less to operate since it has two speeds. Cost: $460.
    3. CleanEffects/AccuClean Air Filter. Dealer says it's eight times more effective than a HEPA filter; it removes particles down to three microns. Cost: $1,440.
    4. 10-year Carrier Extended Warranty (which requires seasonal maintenance and an unknown charge for same). Cost: $960.
    I have no special knowledge of HVAC, but have a longstanding allergy to add-ons and upcharges. Rather than going into this without being probably informed, I thought it would be appropriate to request some knowledgeable feedback. All help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Russell

Although we do not discuss prices here I can tell you that you are on the right track. An informed consumer (as you are) is the best way to deal with different contractors. Everyone offers different deals which may be more or less, but you really have to go with someone you trust, that you think is giving you the best bang for your buck. Add ons are nice but you have to ask yourself if you really need it at this time. There is no perfect answer to your questions, but ask questions, get multiple price and so on. Remember....The lowest price is not always the best job for you........

Mike T.
  • don_163
    don_163 Member Posts: 67
    From what

I'm reading it looks like all issue are being address.

I mean think about the homes that are being built now days.
    The sensible load is coming down and the latent load is coming up.That is if you have a great envelope.

With two stage equipment doing for you..it reducing the capacity for longer runtime..with longer run time you have
    a better chance at controlling the humidity.
    Control the humidity and you will have better indoor air quality at the same time.

Its a great system that is being offer..even if you may never see a return on your investment depending on where you live,its still great to come on to a comfort system that is performing has they said it would.

• don_163
    don_163 Member Posts: 67
    From what

I'm reading it looks like all issue are being address.

I mean think about the homes that are being built now days.
    The sensible load is coming down and the latent load is going up.That is if you have a great envelope.

Whats two stage equipment doing for you..it reducing the capacity for longer runtime..with longer run time you have
    a better chance at controlling the humidity.
    Control the humidity and you will have better indoor air quality and comfort at the same time.Along with a system that is not being short cycle and reducing the life of the equipment.

Its a great system that is being offer..even if you may never see a return on your investment its still great to come home to a comfort system that is performing has they said it would for the next 15 to 20 years.
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    Sounds Good

Sounds like the contractor is offering you all of the goodies and, if your finiancial situation allows, I personally would take advantage of them all.

Make certain, however, that, when the contractor is sizing up/designing your air distribution system, he takes into accout the AccuClean air filter when calculating the friction losses (FR) in the system.

Failure to do so, as well as failure to design the air distribution system properly, will lead to a system that will operate at an efficiency that is well below your expectations.
  • Tom Shekita
    Tom Shekita Member Posts: 17

I'm in the same spot. Looking at Trane and Lennox. Installer is suggesting upgraded filter (I agree), and a UV light setup. Any thoughts to good/bad on the UV?
  • Jeff Lawrence_24
    Jeff Lawrence_24 Member Posts: 593
    Brand vs. Installer

My biggest question to people looking for a specific brand is "Why?"

I've always felt that a great brand installed poorly is worse than less than great brand installed well.

In my opinion, you pick the installer that 'fits' well with you and go with the brand they reccommend. It's most likely that they've had training on that brand and know the little things that has to be looked at during the install.

Regarding the UV lights, they do what they say they will, but like nearly everything else out there, there has to be routine servicing done on them. The 2 brands I've installed has to have the bulbs replaced annually.
  • Steve Garson_2
    Steve Garson_2 Member Posts: 712

If I can add my two cents:

1. The compressor makes noise and most buyers don't appreciate the affect that this noise can make on your enjoyment of the yard. A quiet one costs more. It's worth it!

2. Return air vents in the bedrooms make a big difference if people sleep with the doors closed.

3. Make sure the dining room has adequate ventilation for your biggest summer dinner gathering.

4. I personally think that if you have allergies, you should include a fresh air intake with electric damper, blower and humidity sensor so you can bring in fresh air as needed, when the weather is not too hot or humid.

Steve
    Steve from Denver, CO
This discussion has been closed.