Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thanks Weil McLain!

Options
Dave_4
Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
I been looking at the burn on my arm for weeks.

Fell asleep at the switch and went ot to the truck, came back and found the water and steam all over the floor.

The aquastat thing could've saved me.

Thanks for the tip!

Comments

• Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
    Options
    Skimming boilers - a better way!

Steve from tech support @ W/M noted a skim question about a W/M steamers and suggested we try a simple way to skim a steam boiler.

Instead of doing the guessing game and exposing the "skim guy" to being scalded to death from the "is the skim water too cool to do any good - vs. too hot to stand near while live steam spews all over your arms and legs fix - he suggeste we make a "tool" to make it safer and simpler. If you install more than a few steamers a year, this is THE skimming "tool" you should try:

At the skim tapping, insert a short nipp as before. On the end, put a cross-tee. On the "run" opening, put a bushing and insert an aquastat well. Insert a small aqustat - like a Honeywell L4080D 1036 into the well.

Set the aquastst to ~190F and bug it into T&T directly.

Voila!

Steve also likes a ball valve between the boiler and the cross-tee, for rather obvious reasons.

No more 3rd degree burns, spitting, guessing at how hot the water is, etc. Make it, leave it with the steamer tools needed for that kind of install and a truly easy way to control the skimming process is at hand.

Thanks Weil McLain and specifically, thanks Steve from Tech Support. Killer app IMO.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Just did that way pretty much yesterday

We had an extra tap in a V11 commercial boiler, installed aquastat well and aquastat and tied into pressuretrol control circuit, set at 190 and skimmed at 3" tee at relief valve for couple hrs. Works great.
This discussion has been closed.