Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Magic-pak question

Thanks Professor. The sound is rather loud and does not seem normal to me. The last unit worked without a peep for almost 20 years. The unit is located in a closet in my living room and it would be almost impossible for a house guest to sleep on the couch in that space if left unfixed. The contractor has agreed that it does seem loud and I should be hearing from them hopefully soon.

Thanks again for your quick responce.

Comments

• Robert O'Connor_12
    Robert O'Connor_12 Member Posts: 728
    Magic-pak

Can the professor, or any other great mind in HVAC help answer a question as to why I hear a rather loud metalic grinding noise when the scrolling compressor shuts down on a through the wall Magic-pak heat pump, model No. MHP-10-18.

Thanks!
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    Scroll compressor noise

A couple of background statements before we delve into the matter at hand.

Reciprocating compressors operate with a piston (or series of psitons) moving back and forth within the compression cylinder. At the top of the cylinder are two valves; a suction valve and a discharge valve.

There are four mini-porcesses that take place in the reciprocating compressor. They are expansion, suction, compression and discharge. During expansion and compression, both the suction and discharge valves are in the closed position. During suction, the suction valve is open and the discharge valve is closed. During discharge, the discharge valve is open and the suction valve is closed.
    When the compressor is off, both valves are closed. THE SUCTION AND DISCHARGE VALVES ARE NEVER OPEN AT THE SAME TIME. This fact prevents the refrigerant pressures from equalizing through the compressor when the system cycles off.

Unlike reciprocating compressors, scroll compressors are made up of two nesting scrolls: one is stationary while the other wobbles or orbits. As the orbiting scroll wobbles, refrigerant is pushed toward the center of the nested scrolls where the volume the refrigerant occupies is greatly decreased.

Scroll compressors do not utilize valves and, for that reason, allow the refrigerant pressures to rapidly equalize when the compressor cycles off.

So, in a nutshell, the sound you hear is the sound of the system pressures equalizing when the compressor cycles off. At times, this sound can be quite loud and can resemble the sound of rustling a handful of marbles between your palms.

I hope this helps.

• mtfallsmikey
    mtfallsmikey Member Posts: 765
    How about a rattling noise?

When running?..Compressors are Trane 15 ton scrolls.
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    Robert O'Connor_12 Member Posts: 728
    Magic-Pak

Thanks Professor. The sound is rather loud and does not seem normal to me. The last unit worked without a peep for almost 20 years. The unit is located in a closet in my living room and it would be almost impossible for a house guest to sleep on the couch in that space if left unfixed. The contractor has agreed that it does seem loud and I should be hearing from them hopefully soon.

Thanks again for your quick responce.
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    Thanks

Please keep us posted on the result. If there is indeed a problem with the pump, we would all like to hear about it.

Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.