Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

K.I.S.S rule

We all have those moments, and I for one try to have at least one a day. But, that's how you learn. One cold winter's night many moons ago, I got a no heat call from one of my customers. Nothing worked. Old A/S nat. gas boiler, standing pilot. No power. Went thru all of the checks only to find the emergency switch turned off at the top of the basement stairs. It was under a coat hook. Someone hung up their coat, inadvertantly turned off the switch. The customer gladly paid the bill.

Comments

• singh
    singh Member Posts: 866

What a week.

I just need to share two things I learned this week.

1) Keep it simple
    2) Stupid (that's me)

I re-piped a boiler and added a radiant zone. Flipped the power back on, and nothing. I had 120v to burner and appropiate controls, so I figured I must have let the smoke out of a transformer or something.
    Got out the multimeter and checked one at a time , aquastat, primary control etc..
    Nada, then I start changing parts, nothing, zip.
    Many hours later, I start at the beginning again, after having a cursing fit out by the truck.
    I took the face plate off the service switch by the boiler, and found loose neutral wire. Duh !!!!

Second story,
    Brand new GB142, after a while I got error codes, 2P, 2F, OY, ( everybody knows those codes right) start looking at my troubleshoot guide provided by Buderus, Checking supply and return sensors, UBA etc.. as indicated in the troubleshoot flow chart.
    After some time, realized my primary pump not running, then realized it was wired in the DHW re-circ port, if it had teeth it would have bit me, wired it correctly and all is well.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • burnerman_2
    burnerman_2 Member Posts: 297
    heres another

a fellow worker tried 4 hours to figure out y there was no oil coming through the pump replaced the pump blew out the fuel line another tech came stuck the fuel tank BINGO no oil in the tank 2. another company was working on a boiler all day finally figured out they had no oil in thier tank when i arrived to make a delivery i asked them y that hadf not checked that earlier my teacher said u should always check that first needless to say i got back to my truck in a hurry
  • mtfallsmikey
    mtfallsmikey Member Posts: 765
    And, another

Mid-summer, frantic call from a customer (a doctor no less!), his A/C was down. Condensing unit kept tripping the CB. Old A/S Husher unit, which if you have never seen one, had horizontal condenser coil, fan mounted on the bottom blowing up thru the coil, unit had 4 legs under it. Customer had a potting soil bag under the unit. When the fan started, it sucked the empty bag up and blocked the fan. My brother and I couldn't figure what was going on... now you know the rest of the story.
  • carol_3
    carol_3 Member Posts: 397

I have a few stories like this of my own. Guess we all do. What worries me is the ones yet to happen!
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    Jeff Lawrence_25 Member Posts: 746
    propane

Virtually the exact same thing.

Customer calls, no heat. "Jane, is there any propane in the tank?" Sure is, hubby checked it. "Are you sure? Positively sure?" Yes Danny checked it. "I'll be out today, it may be late."

I get there and get 2 wrenches out of the van. Jane's son met me as I loosened the flare nut. PPPSSssst........ Gauge read zero.

The son looked at me and said "I'll call Mom and tell her."

I got back in the van and left, never having said a word. Three days later, there was a check in my mailbox.

She'll forever be known as Propane Jane....

This discussion has been closed.