Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

one pipe steam system room temperature control

Options
Set the 2nd floor radiatior vents to a higher number (faster venting) and set the vent in the room with the thermostat to a lower number (slower venting). Repeat until comfortable ;-)

Oh, and don't mess with the radiator valves. They should stay all the way open.

Comments

• John Kastner
    John Kastner Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Balancing room temperatures in a one pipe system

My daughter recently purchased a home built in 1922 in western New York. It has a one pipe heating system. It is a two story home and has nine rooms,each having it's own radiator. When first turning on the system the radiators on the second floor were not heating up. This I believe because the radiator in the living room warmed up the room where the thermistat is located. I turned the thermistat up and the second floor radiators began to warm up. Is cutting back on the steam valve the correct eway to control room temperature or is there something I should be doing with the vent valves? They are marked with the numbers 1-10.
  • John Kastner
    Options
    Balancing room temperatures in a one pipe system

My daughter recently purchased a home built in 1922 in western New York. It has a one pipe heating system. It is a two story home and has nine rooms,each having it's own radiator. When first turning on the system the radiators on the second floor were not heating up. This I believe because the radiator in the living room warmed up the room where the thermistat is located. I turned the thermistat up and the second floor radiators began to warm up. Is cutting back on the steam valve the correct eway to control room temperature or is there something I should be doing with the vent valves? They are marked with the numbers 1-10.
  • John Kastner
    Options

Thanks for all the help I will try them tonight.
  • John Kastner
    Options

Thanks for all the help I will try them tonight.
This discussion has been closed.