Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

95 Degree Ambient

Yea the coil definitely needs to be cleaned, but with a head pressure that hi and a suction of 65, you will find after cleaning the coil with an acid based or something that can displace the crap that you will probably be lacking charge. Non- Cond. is possible and should be checked. Is this TXV or restrictor. If restrictor, you are plugged on the cond. and Undercharged. Just watch what happens to your suction pressure after the head is brought down.

Mike T.

Comments

• Jeff Lawrence_25
    Jeff Lawrence_25 Member Posts: 746
    Suction Line pressure 65#

Head pressure 362 pounds.

Trane Spline fin condenser coils.

Hmmmm.

Do y'all think the condenser coils are plugged?

It was 91 degrees in the upstairs of the house and 'it won't cool down.'

I love my job.

I love my job.

I love my job.

The Trane coils are a real bear to clean because I can't use my electric pressure washer on a low pressure setting. It's got to be an alkali, foaming cleaner and it's going to take about 2 hours to do both condensers.

I love my job.

I love my job.

I love my job.

You send reminders and some people ignore them. THEN they wonder why it takes so long to get a tech out there to fix their problem.

Stay out of the attics, people. Those are the killers this time of year.

I figure that if I say "I love my job" enough, I may start to beleive it.
  • Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    I don

> Head pressure 362 pounds.

>

> Trane Spline fin

> condenser coils.

>

> Hmmmm.

>

> Do y'all think

> the condenser coils are plugged?

>

> It was 91

> degrees in the upstairs of the house and 'it

> won't cool down.'

>

> I love my job.

>

> I love my

> job.

>

> I love my job.

>

> The Trane coils are a

> real bear to clean because I can't use my

> electric pressure washer on a low pressure

> setting. It's got to be an alkali, foaming

> cleaner and it's going to take about 2 hours to

> do both condensers.

>

> I love my job.

>

> I love

> my job.

>

> I love my job.

>

> You send reminders

> and some people ignore them. THEN they wonder

> why it takes so long to get a tech out there to

> fix their problem.

>

> Stay out of the attics,

> people. Those are the killers this time of

> year.

>

> I figure that if I say "I love my job"

> enough, I may start to beleive it.

• Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    I don't think it's just dirt, Jeff

It is just that plain fuzzy-looking coil that cannot possibly pass air, especially after someone got to it before you with a pressure washer at 1750 psig...

Go slowly, drink lots of water... stay cool...

Brad
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    I'm figuring

That it's take about a gallon of cleaner and a couple of hours. Fortunately, it'll be in the shade the entire time.

Argh.
  • heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    Could it be......

non-condensibles? Has it been taken apart recently?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    heatboy

The Radiant Whisperer

"The laws of physics will outweigh the laws of ecomomics every time."
  • Jeff Lawrence_24
    Jeff Lawrence_24 Member Posts: 593
    I looked

The condenser coils are plugged up.

Non-condensibles usually show themselves (to me) as floating pressures. These gauge readings are near rock solid.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    95*

Evening All! This is the time of the year for the worst kept units to pop-up and say "hello".Enjoy!
  • S Ebels
    S Ebels Member Posts: 2,322
    Jeff, here's an idea

Around here the dairy farmer have invented a torch to burn the hair off a cow's udder. Yes............you read that right and you read it on the Wall first.

They take a regular hardware store variety bottle type torch to the local welding shop and the guy there reworks the end so the flame flares out instead of maintaining a point. Then they block off about 30% of the air openings to the mixing tube. What this does is make a nice soft feathery flame and the farmers literally do use it to burn off the cow's hair. I've seen it done (and smelled it done)and the bovines don't seem to mind at all...... I'm digressing here......

Anyway, after seeing this exercise with my own eyes, the thought occured to me that if a guy was careful he could use the same apparatus to flame the dandelion fuzz off those Trane/GE/American Standard condenser coils.

So I tried it!

Begorrah! It worked like a charm. You have to keep the flame moving ALL the time but it'll take the crud off one of those fin coils faster than scat. We simply burn and rinse with a garden hose.

The things you don't learn on the WAll :)
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    This isn't cottonwood

I'd like to try burning it off, but the stuff may be a bit loaded into the coils.

I've attached 2 full size pictures of a Trane coil I did a year or so ago. The reason they're full sized is so you can look at the difference. I didn't use a claener that had a brightening agent in it for some reason.

Now for something nearly totally off the topic of the thread. This is one of the 2 reasons I dislike Trane equipment. It's not the difficulty to get to coils, but the coils themselves. The 'spline fins' make it very difficult to clean the coils. The other reason is how the compressor is mounted in the smaller units. You nearly have to remove the concenser coil to get to the compressor, much less check to see of a terminal is burnt off.
  • Charles G.
    Charles G. Member Posts: 113
    COW UDDERS

Somehow, I don't think Elsie is going to remain contented when people come after her with a torch. And the picture I have in my mind...ouch!
  • Jeff Lawrence_24
    Jeff Lawrence_24 Member Posts: 593
    Do you mean

the people that really need some kind of service done to their AC units but would rather buy the new Volvo or Hummer? The same kind that scream at you because it'll be 3 to 4 days to get to them?

Been there, done that.

Lady calls me and I let it roll to voice mail. "We're having issues with our AC. Can you come out tomorrow (Saturday) and look at it?"

I love my job.

I love my job.

I love my job.
  • Jim Pompetti
    Jim Pompetti Member Posts: 552
    non condensable

to prove its not non-condensables. Remove compressor from the contactor, with only fan running check pressures against PT chart.
  • JimmyJam
    JimmyJam Member Posts: 78

Jim,

How long do you let the condenser fan run before comparing the two?
  • jim lockard
    jim lockard Member Posts: 1,059
    run fan

Gibby--you run the fan until the air temp. on the outside of the condensor coil is the same as the temp. of the air coming thru the fan. Then compare that temp with you freon Temp. press. chart. Best Wishes J.Lockard
This discussion has been closed.