Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Old Stuff

A few weeks ago, I did a change out of a 11 year old system. I posted some pictures of the lack of condensate drain, but never really looked a the coil closely.

That changed yesterday.

I recycle scrap and really looked at the coil. It wasn't your typical coil. Here's a first shot of the coil.

Comments

• Jeff Lawrence_25
    Jeff Lawrence_25 Member Posts: 746
    Here

This is the other shot.

This isn't the normal finned coil that is out there now.
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    The system

Was first installed in about 1965 by the homeowner.

Here's the expansion valve. Notice anything?

The liquid line was a 1/2" copper that had been reused when the original system (furnace and outside unit) was replaced 11 years ago. The suction line was 1 inch water line that was soldered, not brazed.
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    The most amazing thing

Was the thermostatic expansion valve.

Make you wonder how it worked.

The clickable picture is the same, only full sized.
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    better picture

maybe...
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    Yes

That is a R12 expansion valve on the system. It (the coil OR the TXV) wasn't changed when they put the new furnace and condensing unit.

How did it work?

It did, according the the homeowner.
  • Brad White_105
    Brad White_105 Member Posts: 17
    Aerofin

Looks like an Aerofin coil also used by Buffalo Forge and still available I think. The fins were turned off of heavy wall soft tubing on a pattern lathe then fitted to headers. Sometimes the entire assembly would be "solder-dipped" and that may account for the silvery color. The fin-to-tube bond is inherent with that manufacturing method.
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    Nope

The fins are aluminum and the tubing is copper. You can pull the fins off fairly easily and they come off as a spiral, meaning the fins are more or less one peice.

I've seen what you're talking about at a boiler factory.
  • RadPro
    RadPro Member Posts: 90
    The Trane was finally Stopped!

Hey Jeff

GE or Trane unit? Saw a coil like that in an old GE unit. Did not have a R-12 TXV that I know of, but did have the same evap coil.

According to counter personal, the orfice may be ok for R-22 depending on what tonnage you have compared to the R-12 size.

Look at Sporlan's Q-valve kit, and you can see how the orfices are the same for all refrigerants, just different sizes. Anyone doing refrigerantion should have a Sporlan Q-BQ valve kit.

Don in MO
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    The coil

Was a Carrier. The system I replaced was a Lennox, only 11 years old. As I recall, it was a 3 ton system.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Old Stuff!

Morning!Hay Jeff!Way back then, Carrier had R500 which acted very close to R12. Possible?Enjoy Your Day!
  • rick_45
    rick_45 Member Posts: 13
    old coil

ran across something like that last year old carrrier.had air handler by changind the expansion valves and linesets you could chaNGE THE COOLING CAPACITY.
  • rick_45
    rick_45 Member Posts: 13

ANY BODY EVER HEARD OF INTERNATIONAL COOLING PRODUCTS .CUSTOMER CALLED HAS A COIL AND CONDENSING UNIT INSTALLED IN 1970 WITH NO MAINTENANCE.GOT HIS MONIES WORTH.
  • will smith_4
    will smith_4 Member Posts: 259
    ICP-

Is a division of Carrier/United Technologies.
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    I'll bet

the customer is fussing about having to replace the system.

You're right, the house got the money's worth out of it.

• Jeff Lawrence_25
    Anything's possible

It could have been a Carrene unit. I've actually worked on one of those many years ago.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Old Stuff

Morning! I stillhave a 30lb drum of r500 in my shop.Good Day All!
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    Nice Pics Jeff

Leave it to you to dig up all of the old goodies in Atlanta...

Hope you're having a great summer.

As far as the R-12 TXV is concerned, I have seen it done. The trick is to lower the spring pressure as low as possible without having the superheat spring adjust shoot out of the bottom of the valve. If such is the case, you'll be operating the evaporator with about 30 degrees of superheat. Of course this is not the ideal situation but, back in the days of old, there was little attention paid to efficiency. The goal was to get the Darn thing to blow cold air.. Period....

This discussion has been closed.