Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

just when you thought you saw it all

My goodness he gets around! :)

The notion of condensation in summer (based on valve position) is rather unusual unless there is an AC coil above it and the pan is not draining properly... But if sealed combustion that should not be an issue.

Then again if it is an issue (leaky HEX) then there are bigger issues afoot. Your bad air -maybe chlorides- is worth pursuing. Yes, let me know what you find...

Thanks

Brad

Comments

• D lux_2
    D lux_2 Member Posts: 230
    Home insp. sent this to me

she wanted to know if this was a new standard. excangers were rusted out . I Have NOT looked at job yet . 12 year old lennox
  • Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    ****?

Manual PVC ball valves in the combustion air and exhaust vents?

Is summer infiltration that pervasive? What happens when one forgets to open them (do they converse automatically with the thermostat should the HO forget?)

I dunno... Would like to speak to the designer/installer if still alive or out on parole....

If there is a good explanation, I am all ears.
  • D lux_2
    D lux_2 Member Posts: 230
    all I know

About this is she found excangers two furnaces rusty burners and all. told owners to fix before new owners would buy house. They found Joe Dowrong to repair .
    He replaced EX and what not, said condensation caused rust and installed valves .
    I think intake and Ex are too far away
    in a corner and pulling in bad air . BUT I have not seen Job yet ..
  • Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    The Joe Dowrong

> About this is she found excangers two furnaces

> rusty burners and all. told owners to fix before

> new owners would buy house. They found Joe

> Dowrong to repair . He replaced EX and what not,

> said condensation caused rust and installed

> valves . I think intake and Ex are too far

> away in a corner and pulling in bad air . BUT I

> have not seen Job yet ..

• Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Zone system on the unit...

You may want to take a look at the size of the duct on the zone or zones which I seen in the pic.... Overheating of heat exchanger is not only a precursor to bad things, but should be avoided at all costs. Tripping on limit much of the time and slow cool down of the heat exchanger can cause this to happen. Like Brad said the environment in the structure and the basement might play a roll, but Ball cocks on the PVC???? I thought I had seen everything.;-)

Mike T.
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Hmmm...

If the vent terminals are installed right, there should be little to no ΔP across the intake and the exhaust, even when the winds are blowing. Without any ΔP, there can be no air movement, without air movement, no latent heat (i.e. water) can be transported to the HX. The long supply lines, the blower, the HX will further resist air movement.

So, I see the ball valves as a liability, not a plus. Some day, someone will fire up the furnace without opening them first and if the furnace does not lock out, they may have a very bad day indeed. Not worth the risk, IMO.
  • tom_49
    tom_49 Member Posts: 269

I thought I had seen it all too !!

• tom_49

• tom_49

• don_182
    don_182 Member Posts: 69
    Actually

the thing will never fire with the valve closed.The pressure
    switch must make before the ignition cycle would even began.

That the good thing with most control on furnaces now days the ps has to make and break for it to work.

Fail safe its in there!
  • Ron Schroeder
    Ron Schroeder Member Posts: 998
    As Long As

Mr DoWrong doesn't bypass the PS because its not working.
  • don_182
    don_182 Member Posts: 69
    Even

bypass when first powerup it still will not fire.

Edit post...For those who looking on a great book to help understand Integrated furnace control our very own Pastor
    Timmie has a great book on them.

• Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    I sencond that, Don

Here here... grab anther beer Don.... You deserve it after the day in the heat you had today!
This discussion has been closed.