Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Leak Detectors

http://www.bacharach-inc.com/h10g.htm

Thats for the H-10 most sensitive thing I have ever used. Thats assuming they are still made the way GE was making them Probe died on mine years ago when D-tek came out with their first generation of 134a dectors Bought one of those its almost as good. Pretty impressed with the tek mate one also for a battery powered detector its not bad at all.

UV is pretty much useless,,besides the only thing that should be floating around in a system is refrigerant and oil.

Comments

• Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    What kind of...

Leak detectors are you guys using. I have a Tiff, I think a model 5050? I just don't trust it. It seems to go off for no reason. I always fall back on the old reliable soap bubbles.

How about it. What works best?
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    What I Presently Use

I like to bring a variety of leak detectors into my classes so my students can get a feel for the wide variwty of options they have when it comes to leak detection. One of my latest goodies is this model from Inficon. It works great.

http://www.inficon.com/download/en/D-TEK_CO2.pdf
  • Ken D.
    Ken D. Member Posts: 836
    Leak detector

I have a MARS (GE-Yokogawa) H10. Best I ever owned. versatile, sensitive, dependable. Never failed me. I find the leaks no one else without one can. Only drawback, but not insurmountable, is it is 120VAC powered. They do make a battery powered version I'm told.
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    Thanks

The infocon looks pretty impresive. It doesn't say what refrigerants it will detect. Does it do all of them?

I can't find any info on the Mars unit. Do you have a link Ken?
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Don't forget

The Ultra Sound detector. I use it along with halogen sniffers to find leaks.

Mike T.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Go Pro

Ultra Sound .....
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    bink

• Eugene Silberstein 3
    Has UV Fallen off the Radar?

What's your take on UV guys?

What percentage of your customers presently have UV solution in their systems?

• Eugene Silberstein 3
    That's why I'm asking

Exactly why I'm asking, Marty. It's very difficult to install a breans new system and then risk having the compressor manufacturer not honor a warranty because of "foreign" substances in the system.
  • Marty
    Marty Member Posts: 109
    why put it in a new system?

People put that stuff in on new installs ? Almost Anything gets warrentied unless its a multiple repeat failure or you are returning half of what you buy in warrenty. I've found leaks with bubbles and my battery powered tekmate that someone had looked for with the dye and not found. A decent leak dector and a nitrogen/22 mix is a better way in my opinion. may not find every leak but I have tried the light on systems that have small unfindable leaks and they remain unfound.

• Eugene Silberstein 3
    It Used to be Very Common

Many installation companies would inject the dye on newly installed systems so that, in the event the system would develop a leak, the technician would be able to utilize the UV light on the first visit.
  • D lux_2
    D lux_2 Member Posts: 230
    I like

to use all three . It depends slow leak 1 lb a year UV fast leak dry in a week elect. want to spend $$ dry N. have found with all and none of the above

ps what about looking for oil ?
  • jim lockard
    jim lockard Member Posts: 1,059
    HA HA

Like Dlux I first look for the oil stain, the I get my halon torch and sniff around. Then depending on the leak I pump down the system close the service valves and add N. (nitrogen) up to 400 psi(do not make that face Professor it will be OK) Soap, halon torch, and whistle I will find your leak. Best Wishes J.Lockard
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Me?

Make a face?

Never!

But one question... why would you want to exceed the maximum test pressure of the system's coils?
This discussion has been closed.