Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Baby's room gets too hot

Will do! It's a great resource for all.

Comments

• Totally clueless
    Totally clueless Member Posts: 4
    Baby's room gets hot

Forgive me as I'm clueless about these things (including terminology). I happened upon this site via internet search.

Our baby's room is fairly small. We have gas heat that runs through baseboard heaters (I think -- metal heaters that run along the floor of the room with a vent that runs the length and that you can open and close). The thermostat is in our bedroom. Our room and our other son's room are fine, but the baby's room gets hot in the winter. Never was a problem before he was born b/c it was just used as an office. But now I worry abot him overheating this winter, especially as he sleeps better with the door closed.

What can we do? It seems the heating unit, which runs the entire length of the wall, is too large. But if we close the vent, will any heat get through at all? And right now it's hard to close the vent anyway (something must be stuck or rusty).

THANKS!!!!
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    Does it look

like this?
    Retired and loving it.
  • Totally clueless

Yes, that's it.
  • DanHolohan
    Great!

You have baseboard hot-water heat. Here's a link to a part of the site that explains how these systems work: Baseboard

If you can work those dampers loose and close them it should solve the problem. If you can't, remove the front cover and wrap some of the finned element in aluminum foil. That will keep the air from being heated so much.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Totally clueless
    Thanks!

Thank you very much for your helpful and quick reply. I'll try your suggestions.
  • DanHolohan
    Let us know how you make out.

And please tell your friends about our site. Thanks.
    Retired and loving it.
This discussion has been closed.