Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Automatic air vent opinions please

ALH_4
ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
I have seen nothing that can beat a Caleffi air vent. From their offering of an air vent specifically designed for solar applications to the Discal vents, nothing beats them. The simple 1/2" air vents with the service check are very nice.

-Andrew

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,506
    Who do you think

makes the best-quality automatic air vent for a hot water system nowadays?
    Retired and loving it.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    depends on the size of the air vent.

Caleffi though, makes very fine quality auto air vents with a small check that comes with them.

spiro tops jr's are handy as you go larger...
  • Josh_10
    Josh_10 Member Posts: 787

My endorsement goes to Taco. Reasons are: (1) They have a variety of sizes from the 1/8" to the 3/4" NPT. (2) They have a variety of types including the Coin and Hy-vent. (3) They are solid. I don't like plastic parts that can't be cleaned. It seems like Taco vent last even through flux accumulation.

Taco also gets my air scoop vote. I can't believe how well the Pall Rings work in the 4900 Series. Even at high velocities they work well.

Just my vote.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Auto air vents...

In my systems, I usually incorporate the Taco air scoop with Honeywell or taco auto vents. I think they are reliable and I have not replaced one yet for malfunction. In the past I used the Maid-O Mist vent's which I thought were nothing but trouble, but have been very happy with the operation of the fore mentioned. In addition I have heard great things about Spiro-Vent. More costly, but I am willing to give them a try.

One thing I find,...and I don't know if you guy's see the same, but here in the NE I only hear of certain manufacturers and some of the products I hear about in the mid and west states,..I have never heard of. I am always open to new products, but cannot understand why the products on the left coast vs the right coast are not offered to the 2 sides?,.,.,.,.Maybe just a volume sold marketing thing, but just thought I'd ask if any one else has noticed this. Not to say they're not availiable, but just not offered as part of the choice of product with out knowing about them.

Thanks

Mike T.
  • Leo
    Leo Member Posts: 770
    We spent a day

We spent a day at Honeywell in Rhode Island this summer. Among other water products they now have an air scoop. Where Spiro Vent uses wires theirs had a type of wire brush. What impressed me most was as members of the group expressed frustration with failures of certain products these guys who were salesmen and engineers were sitting there taking many many notes. That in itself impressed me as they were really listening.

Leo
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,102
    spriovent

The first i believe and the best ,since i first used one every job i do gets one besides pumping away (Thanks Dan )i have not been back for a air related promblem in at leasts 10 years on all the jobs i have used them on ,caleffe is a bit high priced at least in my area and no one even knows or heard of them at the supply houses i visit and do bussiness with. All of my buddies who i have converted into hydroholics use them and there bleeding days are no more peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • Bob Sweet
    Bob Sweet Member Posts: 540

I like Honeywells super vent and spirovent, B&G makes a nice variety of canister vents as well.

Tony, what I used to see with regards to hydronics was, things seemed to migrate from the east coast west, probably because of the predominance of wet heat on the east coast. I think with the internet and modern communications, manuf. have seen the market shares available in areas that aren't so dominated by the heavy hitters, and capitalized on the opportunity.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.