Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

need a new replacement rad for gravity fed system

Darcy
Darcy Member Posts: 4
thanks,
Darcy

Comments

• Darcy
    who makes a (new) replacement rad that will work on gravity sys?

We need a new rad (I imagine a steel product) that will work with a fgravit fed boiler and does not require a pump to work (i.e. StelRad needs a pump).

The new owners take possession of this 1926 fully restored house in 4 weeks; it took three years, but we need to heat the kitchen now (Murphy's law just hit us!)

We have no time to pressure test local rads and/or order a refurbished rad from Montreal or Boston (this house is in western Canada).

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

thanks!

Darcy

• Check out Myson Column Decor Radiators

Extremely low head loss @ 1 gpm--only 0.032' of head. The connections are only 1/2" but they both on the bottom (facing down) and as long as your branch piping is properly sized, surely the one small restriction when you size down immediately before the connections won't affect things too much.

All are 79" high and vary from 12" - 33" in width. Output from about 5,100 - 13,400 btu/hr @ 180F average water temp. The tall, narrow arrangement may well prove highly desirable in a kitchen where it's often hard to find much horizontal wall space.

Whatever you do, make sure that the new rad(s) are sized [over]similarly to the others in the house. Size the new one to the heat loss with the rest original and the new will likely be grossly undersized.
  • Darcy

Thanks Mike,
    I just spoke with Mason and their technical person is telling me they won't work because of the 1/2" connections.

If we were to use cast iron we figured a 2 column, 8 section, 38"tall, 20" wide, 7" deep rad would work in the room. (or 32 sq ft.).

Any other leads in North America?

thx,
    Darcy

• Sorry for the bad lead. I wasn't sure about the 1/2" connections but I'd definitely trust Myson's word.

Remember that Burnham makes two styles of standing iron rads. Both appear to have 1 1/4" bottom tappings. Definitely smaller than the 2 - 2 1/2" tappings of the originals, but I can't imagine a 32 sq.ft. EDR rad ever needing more than 1 1/4"--regardless of its position/elevation relative to the boiler.

BTW: Have you verified that 32 sq.ft. EDR relative to other rads in the house? In the gravity systems I've worked on, that's about the size I'd expect in a small bedroom or good-sized bath.
  • Darcy

thanks, I'll check out Burnham.

"BTW: Have you verified that 32 sq.ft. EDR relative to other rads in the house? In the gravity systems I've worked on, that's about the size I'd expect in a small bedroom or good-sized bath."

32 is my best guess ... the kitchen is ground level, 10' x 12' x 8'6" ceilings, 2 well sealed sash windows(lots of spring bronze) 30" x 60" and a door that leads to an insulated porch; one of the walls is exterior. The house is two stories and is 1500 sq.ft (not including the insulated basement).

Thx,
    Darcy

• I suspect your guess is pretty good as that's exactly the size and exposure I had in mind...
This discussion has been closed.